Impossible to deliver email to existing user RRS feed

Answers

• Hi, looking at the NDR your To address is incorrect:

To: 'Leslie C'
                IMCEAEX-_O=MICROSOFTONLINE_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=4B71C6A1-A3F4-4A50-837B-B4CF79832E5D@red002.local

That's probably caused by a corrupt entry in your nickname cache.  Can you try sending the user mail via Outlook web access?  It should work.

To clear that entry out of your nickname cache, you can either hit the delete key when it comes up when you start typing or, or delete the nickname cache file entirely.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Monday, June 28, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Are you sending an email directly, from scratch, or replying to a message sent to you?

The reason I ask is that, if the message was sent to you with Leslie's contact information corrupted, you would be attempting to reply to the same corrupted address.

If this is still occurring, I would highly recommend contacting Support for further assistance.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:07 AM

All replies

• Hi, it looks like you have the MX setup correctly and Microsoft Online appears to accept mail for your domain.  Are you still having problems?  If so, where are you trying to send from?  If you send from an Internet mail provider such as hotmail, I would guess it would work.

Chad

Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:58 PM
  • If I try to send from joeri@pureplexity.com it doesn't work, and also from an external provider like gmail, ... it also doesn't work.

My company : PurePlexity.com
    Smooth Streaming Demo : High Definition Streaming
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Hi, is the domain authoritative and inbound mail enabled in Microsoft Online.  From the testing I've done against that domain and Microsoft Online it looks like it should work.  What does the undeliverable mail say that you get back?

Chad

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:18 PM
  • do you know where you can modify this setting ?

I can send an email from leslie@pureplexity.com to joeri@pureplexity.com but it's impossible to send from joeri to leslie

When I send from joeri to leslie, I get the following error :

Bronserver: IE2RD2HUB008.red002.local

IMCEAEX-_O=MICROSOFTONLINE_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=4B71C6A1-A3F4-4A50-837B-B4CF79832E5D@red002.local
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

Oorspronkelijke berichtkoppen:

Received: from IE2RD2XVS071.red002.local ([10.33.56.81]) by
     IE2RD2HUB008.red002.local ([10.33.16.156]) with mapi; Mon, 28 Jun 2010
     12:07:25 -0700
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
                <IMCEAEX-_O=MICROSOFTONLINE_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=4B71C6A1-A3F4-4A50-837B-B4CF79832E5D@red002.local>
    Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:07:26 -0700
    Subject:
    Thread-Index: AcsW9SVevj0lqMrwSGSV1lUmGZgccw==
    Message-ID: <3D979C6FFE28E0438F2A5D5ABB1BA3FF09F17118@IE2RD2XVS071.red002.local>
    Accept-Language: nl-NL, en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <3D979C6FFE28E0438F2A5D5ABB1BA3FF09F17118@IE2RD2XVS071.red002.local>
    MIME-Version: 1.0

Monday, June 28, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi, looking at the NDR your To address is incorrect:

That's probably caused by a corrupt entry in your nickname cache.  Can you try sending the user mail via Outlook web access?  It should work.

To clear that entry out of your nickname cache, you can either hit the delete key when it comes up when you start typing or, or delete the nickname cache file entirely.

Chad

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:45 PM
  • It's also impossible to send to leslie@pureplexity.com from the outlook web access. I get the same error.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Are you sending an email directly, from scratch, or replying to a message sent to you?

The reason I ask is that, if the message was sent to you with Leslie's contact information corrupted, you would be attempting to reply to the same corrupted address.

If this is still occurring, I would highly recommend contacting Support for further assistance.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:07 AM
  • I have a customer with same issue... I wonder if you added an attachment..
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Alfredo, I would recommend checking the initial email being sent, if replying, and confirm whether the recipient is already corrupted prior to you sending the message.

If you are initiating the message, check your OAB/GAL (even in OWA) to confirm whether there is a corruption in the SMTP addresses (such as an x400/x500 address) and clear your AutoComplete cache.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:13 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi Daniel, I have the same problem with a customer... and several clients working with outlook have this corruption. I test a new outlook profile created on a new PC, and it don´t have this problem... I know the procedure that you talk and it work.

But, which is the reason why this corruption occurr?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Thankss for confirming that removing the corrupt autocomplete entry resolved the issue.

An explanation of why this occurs:  First, this is not really a 'corruption' so much as 'old information'.  When you have an Exchange environment, the server attempts to optimize mail delivery by indicating exactly which path to follow to get to the mailbox, which is exactly what the x400 and x500 address are.  As long as you stay in the same Exchange environment, nothing goes wrong.  When you move to another Exchange environment (in this case BPOS), the same path (folder structure) does not exist, so the x400 and x500 addresses route incorrectly, and provide the NDR when attempting to address those mailboxes.

Outlook, being created as a tool to be very friendly and helpful, stores anything you type (email addresses) in a cache called AutoComplete (prior to Outlook 2010).  If you use the same client when you move, the same AutoComplete cache is kept, with the same x400/x500 addresses associated with the entries.  Instead of using the OAB or GAL, when you type in the address it first prompts for AutoComplete entries.  When you select the Autocomplete entry, it pulls from the cache and inputs the old information, including the now incorrect x400/x500 address.  When you send to these addresses, the new environment (BPOS) has no clue where that mailbox is located based on the path stored in the x400/x500 addresses, and provides the NDR you received.

Again, Outlook being helpful, stores recipients in AutoComplete as well.  So, when someone sends you an email with one of these incorrect AutoComplete entries (including the x400/x500 address), and you reply to this email, your Outlook will now have that entry as well. 

This is why, when a company switches from one Exchange environment to another, I highly recommend the following:  1.  Have a script run to delete all OAB files (only has to run once).  2.  Have a script run to delete all .NK2 cache entries constantly (every time the user logs in) for up to a year or as long as necessary to make sure all users are affected.  This may seem extreme, but AutoComplete entries are almost viral in how they spread through an organization.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:04 PM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:04 PM