Searching the Global Catalog (3268), Does all DCs need to be GCs ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My configuration is:

Forest (root) and Domain (infra) configured with Tree trust root.

This means a total of 2 Domains. I want to query the Forest only, and to make sure it will query the Domain also.

The problem is not all DCs in the Domain/Forest are marked as GC.

Will the Global Catalog search still work ? Does the DC forward the query to DC that has the GC enabled ?

The attributes are marked as replicated. 

Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:25 AM

All replies

• Yes, the query will work as long as your query specifies the Global Catalog, using either GC:// or the GC port (3268 or 3269). All GC's have the same information, so it doesn't matter which one responds to your query. The normal DC Locator process should select the best one.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Richard is obviously correct - however, just to clarify, if the query targets port 3268 and references the specific DC, then it will fail if that DC is not a GC.

As an aside, is there a reason that not all DCs are GCs? This is considered one of the AD "best practices"

hth
    Marcin

Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:40 AM
  • This is how our customer has set up his Domain.

I am addressing the Forest GC.

The Forest (Domain) is connected to Domain (which has many DCs, but not all are GCs, only some are)

I Target the Forest, base dn is also forest, also in the Forest, not all DCs has GCs. but i dont set specific DC

Sunday, March 25, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Hi Ilan,If so, then follow Richard's suggestion:

GC://fqdn_of_the_forest

Details at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675564(v=vs.85).aspx

hth
    Marcin

Sunday, March 25, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please remember to mark useful reply as answer, which would be much more efficient for other forum community members to find useful information.

Best Regards,

William

Monday, April 9, 2018 12:50 PM