none
Need to clone an Image created with MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a custom image which I created in VMWare with MTD 2013. The MDT server is local, I am the only one using it and it is not on the network or available in other sites. I was asked to provide an Acronis or Northon Ghost cloned image so that other admins can image workstations/laptops without having to ship the device to me, to deploy with MDT. I thought about imaging a workstation and cloning the drive before sysprep starts, but the problem is that I run a task sequence at the end Final Configuration for MDT 2013 LT created by Jonan, to delete any leftover by MDT (C:\MININT, C:\_SMSTaskSequence) and auto login the first time. I might be wrong, but I believe that the workstation needs to be connected to the MDT server for all task sequence to complete.

What is the best way to clone this image?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The simplest option IMHO would be to completely deploy a simalar machine using MDT and then, after deployment completes, run sysprep manually. Used with the option "shut down", your machine sould be off and in a syprepped state. Than manually create the Acronis/Ghost image and distribut that.

Even better howerver would be to provide MDT deployment in your other sites. You can utilize DFS Replication to maintain a single point of administration, while still proving a coherent deployment method throughout your network.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Franko Uzum Friday, May 9, 2014 1:02 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The simplest option IMHO would be to completely deploy a simalar machine using MDT and then, after deployment completes, run sysprep manually. Used with the option "shut down", your machine sould be off and in a syprepped state. Than manually create the Acronis/Ghost image and distribut that.

Even better howerver would be to provide MDT deployment in your other sites. You can utilize DFS Replication to maintain a single point of administration, while still proving a coherent deployment method throughout your network.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Franko Uzum Friday, May 9, 2014 1:02 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:34 AM
  • It sounds like your looking for a way to image at a remote office. If this is the case take a look at offline media using a usb drive. I ship a drive to the hong kong office, which saves the user from shipping the laptop to me for reimage.
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Thanks Martin, that is exactly what I end up doing. The problem is that sysprep does not work from the reference workstation, I had to do the following

I changed HKLM\System\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus - GeneralizeationState to 7 instead of 3.

Friday, May 9, 2014 1:09 AM