windows photo gallery not working!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have windows 8.1 have downloaded the windows essentials 2012 for mainly photo gallery however everytime it opens I click on anything comes up with Photo Gallery has stopped working. A box appears and windows photo gallery closes . I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but this makes no difference. Hope you can help
    Monday, November 10, 2014 4:46 PM

All replies

• I came across a somewhat acceptable 3-step workaround to the problem of Photo Gallery crashing with the message, "Photo Gallery has stopped working" shortly after starting it. This workaround and the problem it addresses only apply to Windows 8.1 computers with AMD or ATI video adapters.

1. Use Windows Explorer (Win+E) to navigate to the following folder.
      • %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia
    2. Rename the following files to something temporary. For example, add "-disabled" to the end of each name. Note: these files might appear without ".dll" at the end, depending upon your system settings.
      • amf-wic-jpeg-decoder32.dll
      • amf-wic-jpeg-decoder64.dll
    3. Restart Windows.

AMD is rumored to have a fix on the way for a bug in these driver files. But, this 3-step workaround will likely be well-received by fans of Photo Gallery until that time comes.

Note: After applying this workaround your computer may experience minor performance issues. And, if you update or reinstall AMD/ATI video drivers, the Photo Gallery crashing may recur until you reapply this workaround.

I'd like to give credit to whoever first developed this workaround. But, I got it second-hand with no citation provided.

David L. Burkhart, Burkhart Technology, http://www.BurkhartTech.com

Saturday, May 16, 2015 2:05 AM
  • This problem has started to happen again with the ATI drivers rolled out in the January 10th Windows Update.

Fix works well.

Friday, January 27, 2017 3:08 PM