none
How much software do you include in your base image? RRS feed

• Question

• I've used WDS in the past but am migrating to MDT.  How much software do you include in your base image (WIM)?  I've been told it's good to have windows and office installed in the base and then layer on all other apps in the task sequence.

Would anyone recommend this approach?  Or what are best practices in the real world?

Many Thanks

Stuart

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:35 AM

All replies

• That really it is a matter of choice or necessity. Personally I build my reference image with just Windows and Office and all other apps are deployed as part of the task sequence and via the wizard. I do this because I find it vastly easier to replace the installer for Chrome, Adobe Reader, etc with the latest one instead of having to build a new reference image had they been a part of it.

Having them separate does mean a longer deployment time because they are being installed rather than laid down as an image.

An advantage though is that if you wanted to drop or add software you don't have to rebuild your image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 1:17 PM
  • My reference image contains the following

Win OS
    MS Office
    NetFrameWork
    Silverlight
    MS Visual C ++ Redistributables x64
    MS Visual C ++ Redistributables x86
    MS Visual Studio Runtimes

As suggested by Dan_Vega it is a better option of deploying applications through task Sequences as it is upgradable ie whenever you want a new version of Chrome or Reader you will only have to deal with it in the Task Sequence.

Cheers,

Pankaj

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:30 AM
  • I normally work on the basis of including apps that don't change that often in an image and any that change frequently (i.e. Adobe Reader, Java) in the task sequence, however, as Dan_Vega says, it is really a matter of choice or necessity.

Regards

Mark

Regards Mark

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:43 AM
  • My rules of thumb:

Apps I do not "baked into" the WIM

1) anything that changes frequently (Ex. Adobe Reader & Flash, Java)
    2) apps with specific license restrictions
    3) model specific apps (Ex. Bluetooth)
    4) apps which generate unique GUIDS during install (some client apps which talk to a specific server)

Apps I consider "baking into" the WIM

1) "Foundation" pieces that do not change often (Ex. .NET, Silverlight)
    2) Apps with long install times that are licensed for all (Ex. Office 20xx)

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:52 PM