where has my document gone? RRS feed

• Question

• Please help me!
    Two weeks ago I spent a whole day updating and polishing a piece of work. I saved it many times during that day but did not back up to another location after that days work.
    Today I wanted to continue this project but I could not find my updated work only the version from before. I have checked asd files and the 'previous versions' section under properties.
    The only way I imagine it has been lost is that when I went to shut down I didn't shut down the word separately. I am sure I would have saved it before shutting down just to make sure, but even if I didn't I was saving it as I went through the day. I don't understand why it isn't there. When I search my computer looking there is nothing in the last modified section- where did it go? Is there anywhere else I might look for it?

I am not a computer wizz, I just have a functional knowledge so please be considerate of this in responding.
    Monday, February 3, 2014 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Create a new file, can you reproduce the issue that changes are not saved?

Microsoft Word documents can be lost in certain situations. For example, the document may be lost if an error occurs that forces Word to quit, if you experience a power interruption while editing, or if you close the document without saving changes.

You can refer to the kb below, follow the steps such as Search for AutoRecover Files, backup files and temporary files, to find the lost information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951/en-us

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:12 AM
  • If the document was opened from an email attachment, it will be saved to a temporary folder created by the email app. Sadly, having saved any edits, they'll all disappear with document when the  temporary folder gets deleted upon exiting the email app.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:43 AM
  • A guess: It was a document emailed to you and you opened it directly from the email. Or, you downloaded it and opened it directly from your web browser. If so, it is in one of your temp file locations.

See this thread.

or I saved my Word document and now I can't find it

If opened from an Outlook attachment: http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Hey I think that probably this is what happened an error occurred, but I can not find it using the methods in the attached link so I guess I have to do it again :(
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hello thanks for responded. It wasn't in an email link.
    There is a small chance that I opened it from a facebook message which I sent. Still that would come up in the downloads and I don't see evidence for this so I think it unlikely.
    Still the symptons of saving multiple times sounds remarkably similar
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:57 AM