Windows 7 Pro 32 bit Random Blue screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently had a problem with my system. It wouldn't log into Windows anymore. I think the problam was a hardware problem, so I have replaced the Mainboard.

Most of the components in my machine are now new, apart from graphics card, DVDRW, ram and CPU

That's 3 new SATA 2 HDD's new mainboard, Plus a full format, and clean reinstall of Windows 7. with up to date nForce drivers, and GeForce drivers. 

I've had 9 Blue screens come up now since the format last week. All random. 2 when the machine wasn't being used, and the rest were either playing music, browsing the net, or using photoshop.

a couple of times the system has restarted, and the keyboard had stopped responding when it gets into windows. No lights, nothing. I bought a new keyboard today to eleminate my old one causing any problems. I laso have a 600w PSU, so there shouldn't be a power issue either.

The BSOD says that it's a Kernal power issue, and one said that it was a page fault in non paged area.

I've run a memory test, and it passed without issue.

I have the minidumps for all of restarts, but I'm not sure how to read them, or what to do with them.

Is there any way somebody on here could take a look for me, and maybe shed some light on what my problem could be?

The dump files are on Skydrive here http://cid-947dac04178be672.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Thanks

J

System CPU AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core 4600+

2gb ram (Idid have 3, but the new Mainboard only has 2 DDR2 slots)

GeForce 9600GT

ASRock N68C-GS UCC Mainboard

3x SATA II HDD's

Wacom intuos3 tablet

Logitech multimedia 600 keyboard

600wPSU

Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hi guys,

I did try lowereing the clock speed of the Ram, no change.

I tried a WHOLE load of things since aswell, via drivers for onboard sound card etc.

In the end, I think I've managed to solve it.

Forceware drivers! They were creating an issue with the nforce chipset, and can even effect dual core cpu's (slowing them down by up to 50%) and in my case, creating memory leaks, that were probably causing my BSOD's and were the reason I weas getting such random messages, as they also can effect IDE devices, USB, you name it.

I'll post back and give a walkthrough of the trouble shooting I went through, and how I've solverd it in the end. (touch wood but it's been running without a hitch so far)

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, August 23, 2010 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:40 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:37 PM

All replies

• This is my first attemp at debugging, but I'm pretty sure you're getting an NTFS_FILESYSTEM_ERROR.  Normally, I see these as a result of a bad drive. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557433(v=VS.85).aspx

Western Digital has a pretty decent free application for testing drives.  You can get it here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=3&lang=en

- Henson

Sunday, August 1, 2010 7:24 AM
  • You have different crashes:

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ((NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 -access violation), BAD_POOL_HEADER (enable driver verifier to get better dumps), DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (caused by the USBhub driver), NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM ).

Check your RAM for errors please. Also run chkdsk to check your HDD.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Also, I'm only running the usb devices from the ones on the back of the main board, not the additional ports that are part of the case in the front of my pc.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 3:12 PM
  • You have different crashes:

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ((NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 -access violation), BAD_POOL_HEADER (enable driver verifier to get better dumps), DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (caused by the USBhub driver), NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM ).

Check your RAM for errors please. Also run chkdsk to check your HDD.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Ok, I've checked ram with the memory test that comes with windows, all show as fine, same with chkdsk and all hdds.

I formatted my second drive (Full long format) all went well and one empty HDD

I tried to format my 3rd drive the same way, and crashed the system 3 times in the same place.

THinking I'd solved the issue, I've removed that drive. Just now, I've had another blue screen crash.

I've tried running the system without my wacom plugged in, incase it was the drivers, or using too much power from the usb port, and had a crash then too.

I'm struggling to find a fix here, as I'm running out of ideas. I'll post up the newer minidumps. It'd be great if somebody could have a look again, as I've changed things that I thought could have een the issue.

I've put the 5 new minidumps in a folder called Dump 2. The last one is with the hdd unplugged. The 3 before are when I was trying to format, and without the wacom plugged in.

http://cid-947dac04178be672.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Ok, I've checked ram with the memory test that comes with windows, all show as fine, same with chkdsk and all hdds.

MODULE_NAME: hardware

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  IP_MISALIGNED _hidusb.sys

The new dumps still say you have an hardware issue. The instruction pointer is wrong.+

Check the RAM with memtest86+ instead of the Windows Tool.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

In some cases the SATA driver that is not fully compatible with Windows 7 may cause this issue.

Try changing the ATA transfer mode to Standard IDE. Or consider unpluging graphics card, DVDRW, or replace your CPU to check the result.

Regard,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Well, I went one better, and just replaced the ram, with a brand new 2gb stick (DDR2 800) 2 days running fine, and now a blue screen again. I've also updated the bios, renstalled latest nforce again, just incase. and Geforce.

The only hardware left now, is the cpu, and graphics card. The reason I got a new mobo, is so my graphics card would tie up with the nforce chipset. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this issue.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Can you provide new dumps?

Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Ok, here's the last few dumps. It's in the folder called Dump 3. These are the last dumps I've had since changing the ram to a single 2gb stick. The system is more stable now, and I can also now get it to crash by using sites that use flash videos (eg youtube or bbc iplayer,) And Microsoft Silverlight videos. Deviantart is also making my system crash.

http://cid-947dac04178be672.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

I also had a message come up, instead of the blue screen, it was a warning message saying that my system was trying to access memory and was stopped. (I think that was something to do with windows dep) on deviantart.

The last message I had just now, was after watching a Microsoft silverlight video on the msn page, and the BSOD scren meessage was IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The few crashes before that didn't say anything at all.

I've narrowed it own to being only when flash sites or silverlight is inuse now since the Ram change. The system has become a lot more stable since, but still a pain in the...well, you know.

I'd also like to thank people for taking the time to look at this stuff for me so far aswell. Much appreciated!!!

Also in one of the previous dumps, there was a netio error, and ndisp.sys (I think I found they are both to do with the network card)

I'm running fully up to date nforce drivers, which includes the network card. (Nvidia chipset), so I'm more confused than I was before.

I'm also running NOD32 ESET just incase that helps.

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:00 PM
  • You 're getting different crashes:

VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNA L (10e)
    The video memory manager encountered a condition that it can't recover from. By crashing,
    the video memory manager is attempting to get enough information into the minidump such that
    somebody can pinpoint what lead to this condition.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000016, Driver broke the guaranteed DMA buffer model contract.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

For me it still looks like Memory issue.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:09 PM
  • I just bought a brand new 2gb stick of Ram though?

The main board is Brand new. I've tried running the ram at different clock speeds aswell.

The Ram I have is a 2gb stick, DDR2 800. (800 is the max my cpu is compatible with I think)

It's currently runiing at 800 in the bios aswell. I tried leaving set at auto to start with, which was running it at 500 instead I think. But there was no change.

What else can cause this issue? I eleminated the ram side, by buying brand new memory.

I have 389GB of 465 on my Main HDD, and 146 of 153 on the second (photshop scratch disk mainly) The third drive is still unplugged.

I'm also using an intenso 16gb pendrive now, as readyboost 4GB (I've tried it without, but no change)

As a troubleshooter this end, I was also wondering if it was the ram on my Graphics card. As a test, I downloaded several Nvidia demos, and yesterday installed bioshock, as a longer test for it. The game runs fine. Smooth as anything, and I FORCED myself ;) to play it for about 31/2 hours and no stutter, slow down or crashes of any kind.

Flashed the bios aswell. No change.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Could you tell me please, where are you finding those bits of info in the crash dumps?

I can't seem to find the part that says about the video memory management.

As some of the blue screens where saying about IRQ, I was looking around to see the IRQ addresses etc. I don't know enough about that side of it, but could it be an IRQ conflict?

I looked in device manager, and my onboard sound, and SATA controller both have an IRQ of 20, and another SATA controller shares 21 with a USB host controller. Can that cause an issue? (windows hasn't registered any conflicts in device manager, and I don't know anything more about IRQ to confirm if it's those things or not)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Can you please try a lower 800Mhz memory bit - it is not very prominent but looking around you will find this kernel power error is a big disappointment with windows 7.

Can you please check your event viewer for the logs and please share it across as well.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Could you tell me please, where are you finding those bits of info in the crash dumps?

Open the dmp files with WinDbg.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx).
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Appreciate your help Andre :)

Cheers

"Do it yourself, before you think someone else will" - Mani Babbar - 18.08.10
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:08 AM
  • Hi guys,

I did try lowereing the clock speed of the Ram, no change.

I tried a WHOLE load of things since aswell, via drivers for onboard sound card etc.

In the end, I think I've managed to solve it.

Forceware drivers! They were creating an issue with the nforce chipset, and can even effect dual core cpu's (slowing them down by up to 50%) and in my case, creating memory leaks, that were probably causing my BSOD's and were the reason I weas getting such random messages, as they also can effect IDE devices, USB, you name it.

I'll post back and give a walkthrough of the trouble shooting I went through, and how I've solverd it in the end. (touch wood but it's been running without a hitch so far)

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, August 23, 2010 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:40 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:37 PM