XP performance debugging RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed a whole mess of updates.

Now something is slowing the computer way down. Iclick on start for example and it takes up to a minute to pop open Its like I can do maybe one command then it stops for a minute or more.

There is nothing in the task manager that shows up to be using very much processing power. I opened the performance monitor but it to does not show anything very much, although there are so many settings here Im not sure which is significant to look for.

the computer is behind a firebox firewall and has AV software on it.

The question really is is how do you debug these things. Why is it that no program that I know of can show you why things are slowing down. Is there something out there that can tell me why its slowing down. Im confused why perfmon or task manager doesnt show me anything is wrong.

I add that when the start menu opens for example it stays open. Just sits there.

thanks.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:49 PM

All replies

• try running checkdisk to fix bad sectors on your disk; click start>run, type cmd, this opens command prompt window. type chkdsk /f. you may be asked if you want chkdsk to run at next startup, say yes, restart the system, and allow it to check disk
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Did this earlier. It did not resolve anything. Really the question is somewhat generic in nature in that I would really like to know if anyone knows of any free tools that can be used to diagnos what things are causing the slowdown. or perhaps how to use what comes with XP. There should be something that test for these things but permon and taskmanager show no issues.

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Perfmon works just fine for diagnosing performance issues.It is not meant for you to analyse perfmon traces and logs for unusual values in predefined  performance objects and counters.

Would be most useful for you if you had a performance baseline set before the "slow-down" issue started

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:02 PM
  • While I understand your point, which may be that people often have different ideas of what is slow or so haveing a base line would help to see if it is slow and what is really slow. Unfortunetely I have not got this. So we are stort of stuck Not many people probably do this.

thanks.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:39 PM
  • another option is for you to check your running services. maybe your installed updates started a whole lot of services u dont really need. if that doesn't work, you might have to resort to A+ switching of field replaceable units. e.g switch the RAM modules with one from a reasonable "fast" PC.also try swapping the modules between bays . 
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:05 PM