System Transfer to a new Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I will be acqiring a new computer, less any operating system.  I wish to transfer my current hard disk, with Windows XP and all other programs and settings, to the new computer.  This will allow me to transfer XP with all its updates.  Will I be able to bring up the new computer and will I have to reregister XP?  If so, how do I do this?
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:09 PM

All replies

• It is highly likely that Windows XP will not even boot up if you connect the hard drive to a different motherboard.  The primary reason is the hardware itself.  Windows XP requires hardware drivers to be installed during setup and it is not a forgiving system if and when the hard drive is moved to a different platform.

Also, even if it did work, it is only legal to move to new hardware if your have a full Retail licensed version of windows XP.  If the current system was installed using an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) disc, it is a violation of the Microsoft EULA (End User License Agreement) to move that system to any other hardware.  According to the Microsoft EULA, the license is married to the original hardware for life.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Ponder this.  And industrial environment where keeping computers alive is paramount to staying in business.  In my particular case the computer was purchased from Dell in 2006.  I have all of the original documentation, labels etc. 

The problem is the motherboard on this particular computer is starting to experience some issues that is causing the internal NIC to fail to communicate.  I want to move the hard drive to a new and modern PC.  I take full image backups every week and store them on a server.  I have the ability to restore the image to a new hard drive, and using Paragon Hard Drive Suite 11 I can prepare that drive for installation in a new computer.  And it actually worked!  The computer booted properly but wants me to activate windows.  There is no means to connect the outside world via internet or modem so phone activation is my only option.  When I read back installation ID the phone automation system says it is invalid.

Some of the software on this computer is practically irreplaceable.  So keeping it running is very important to us. 

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:08 PM
  • A Dell OEM Windows XP license is only valid with the original Dell computer it was installed on.  It will not activate on a different computer because the Dell OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) license is non-transferrable.
    Carey Frisch

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:57 PM