none
SCOM 1801 - Notification channel issues

Question

• Here's a good one...

SCOM 1801 (greenfield site) - it appears that using a Chanel Type "Command" and not filtering alerts at all will result in the command channel only being initiated intermittently.

Adding both the command channel type and an smtp channel type to a subscription results in the smtp channel firing every time but the command channel hardly ever firing. Nothing in the MOM event logs to indicate hitting any limits \ errors. All my command channel does is write "get-date" in a powershell script to a text file (to test - i thought it might be my script but it isn't).

Anyone else seen this? Part of me is wishing i installed 2012 R2 for this site!

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Friday, July 13, 2018 11:38 AM

All replies

• Couldn't it simply be because of the 5 simultaneous cmd notification limit?

http://jimmoldenhauer.blogspot.com/2013/01/scom-2012-maximum-number-of.html

Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:41 AM
  • My trobleshoot steps as
    1) make sure your powerscript is work correctly by running its individually
    2) make sure that the setting of command notification with powershell script is correct. for detail. pls. refer to
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fesiro/2012/11/26/how-to-configure-command-notification-in-scom-2012-with-powershell-script/
    Roger
    Monday, July 16, 2018 4:33 AM
  • yes the script runs without issue.

Remember this is a test script that just contains the following:

get-date | out-file c:\somefolder\somefile.txt -append

I'm not hitting the five command limit (which i have upped to 30 any way)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Monday, July 16, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Did the command channel type and the smtp channel type firing criteria are same?

If so, they should be fired at the same time.

If not, the alert may not reached the command channel type fire criteria.

Best regards,
    Yuxiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:21 AM
  • In command channel setting, pls check
    1) full path of the command file: C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe
    2) Command line parameter: your powershell script file
    3) startup folder for the command line: C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\
    Make sure that your custom powershell script exists on all management server
    Roger
    13 hours 28 minutes ago
  • Hi Jim,

Did the command channel type and the smtp channel type firing criteria are same?

If so, they should be fired at the same time.

If not, the alert may not reached the command channel type fire criteria.

Best regards,
    Yuxiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Here is my (test) subscription criteria

Here is my selected subscribers to the subscription

Here are the channels in use in the subscription

As you can see, nothing wrong here...

@system center guy, it fires intermittently - there is nothing wrong with the command channel config.
    The script exists on both management servers, in exactly the same location.

And for the purpose of completeness...

6 hours 51 minutes ago