IE 7 crashes a lot!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I use Vista with IE 7 but I am really getting tired of delays in uploading and a LOT of crashes of IE7:  "internet explorer has stopped working" and there goes a couple of hours work.  Is there a FIX for this?  I then have to move to CHROME or FIREFOX to re-do my work.  I should be able to use add-on's if the page I'm looking requires it (with permission).  If I didn't need to look at the web-sites that require an add-on then it wouldn't matter but who knows when you're going to need an add-on.  I am somewhat dependent on IE7 because some of my work software (online programs) only work with IE7---when it works!.  This is very frustrating and a REAL waste of my time.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

IE issue can be caused by several factors such as third party add-ons, programs.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest performing the following steps:

Reset IE

=============

Note: the following steps will remove all of installed add-ons and reset IE to default settings. We need to reinstall the add-ons after resetting.

1. Click "Start", type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) into “Search” bar and press "Enter" to open the “Internet Options” window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check "Delete personal settings" box and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6. Close the Internet Explorer window and restart IE to check the issue.

If the issue persists, try Clean Boot mode.

If it does not work, you can collect HiJackThis log and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Collect HiJackThis log

==============

1. Please download HijackThis from the following link:

http://www.techspot.com/download317.html

Please Note: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

2. Right click the downloaded HJTInstall.exe file and choose "Run as administrator".  

3. Click the "Do a system scan and save a logfile" Button. 

4. A Notepad window will appear, please click File, Save As...” to save it as HJT.log (or other file name you like) on the Desktop

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:20 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:47 AM