Installation of Proclarity Dashboard... RRS feed

• Question

• I am at my wits end with the Installation of the proclarity dashboard...

It goes through fine. I create a new database - put in the sa password / admin password, copy all the required stuff that is to be copied into the data.config / web.config files during installation & proceed to the dashboard login screen.

At this point, I enter admin as the user and put in the admin password that was set up during installation. It just does not work.

I have restarted IIS / removed and installed this several times, everytime with a new database to no avail.

I have checked the users table in the database (i.e. Proclarity_Dashboard) & I see the admin user with an encrypted password.

The error I get is the following:

An error has occurred, and has been logged for the dashboard administrator

The details of the error are the following:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: is not a valid guid for the encryption key
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.Util.TripleDESEncryption..ctor()
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.Data.DataManager..ctor(DashboardDataSet dataSet)
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.Data.DataManager.get_Instance()
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.SecurityHandler.DashboardSecurity.GetDashboardUser(String providerName, String name, Boolean bOverrideCache)
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.SecurityHandler.DashboardSecurity.GetDashboardUser(String providerName, String name)
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.Login.LoginUser()
    at ProClarity.Dashboard.Login.Login_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at ASP.login_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

It appears to be that the password is not being decrypted during login.

We are using Dashboard 6.2 / windows server 2003 SP2 / SQL 2005 SP2

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:51 PM

Answers

• Can you browse to the data.config (located by default at c:\program files\proclarity\dashboard server\config) and replace its contents with the whole of the data.config.example file?  Then, add the connection string and connection credentials manually, save the data.config and try to log in again with the admin account created on the install, are you now successful in logging into the Dashboard?

On a side note, does the admin user account created meet the SQL password requirements that may be being enforced?  Are you using a particularly short or long password?  With special characters?

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:40 AM

All replies

• Can you browse to the data.config (located by default at c:\program files\proclarity\dashboard server\config) and replace its contents with the whole of the data.config.example file?  Then, add the connection string and connection credentials manually, save the data.config and try to log in again with the admin account created on the install, are you now successful in logging into the Dashboard?

On a side note, does the admin user account created meet the SQL password requirements that may be being enforced?  Are you using a particularly short or long password?  With special characters?

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Uninstall Proclarity Dashboad and MANUALLY delete every directory and file it created, especcially web.config.

I'm saying this because if you do a regular uninstall, it won'd delete web.config, and if you blundered while editing it, the blunder will make sure the thing will never work (happened to me).

After you do this, re-install and be extra carefull editing web.config.

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:49 AM