none
SkipUserData=NO RRS feed

• Question

• I set the following variables for a task sequence that a use the build replacement pc's. I need to restore data from a network location, and want to be prompted for the location as the computer name differs from the old and the new.

My variables looks like this:

- SkipUserData=NO
    - UserDataLocation=Network
    - UDShare=\\yourserver\yourshare

I did not specify  UDDIR= variable as I want to just type the name of the folder(computername) that I need to restore. I however do not get prompted for the userdata location. Please help.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:36 AM

All replies

• Have you tried adding this

UDDir=%OSDComputerName%

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Have you tried adding this

UDDir=%OSDComputerName%

Did you read my post?

"I did not specify  UDDIR= variable as I want to just type the name of the folder(computername) that I need to restore. I however do not get prompted for the userdata location. Please help."

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Is the UserDataLocation and UDShare pre-populated in the wizard?

-Nick O.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Did you specify using on hardlink or /nocompress way to capture and restore the data?

For step capture and restore it should be include

ScanStateArgs=
    LoadStateArgs=
    UDShare=\\StorageServer\Folder
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    USMTMigFiles1=
    USMTMigFiles2=
    UserDataLocation=NETWORK

Or did you disable the task restore in your task sequence?

FYI, i did read your post....

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:45 AM

• - SkipUserData=NO
    - UserDataLocation=Network
    - UDShare=\\yourserver\yourshare

Have you just tried not setting those values?  The default for SkipUserData is already NO, UserDataLocation is for how you want to store the user data (but you want to pick for a restore), and UDShare is the location UserDataLocation points to (but is again for a store and you want to do a restore).

You can also do a debug with your CustomSettings.ini to see if something else being set is overriding it.  See Andrew's post: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/mdt2010-ztigather/

There are some criteria for if the UserDataRestore pane shows, as follows:

<Pane id="UserDataRestore" reference="DeployWiz_UserDataRestore.xml">
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ Property("USMTOfflineMigration") <> "TRUE" ]]></Condition>
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ UCase(Property("SkipUserData"))<>"YES" and (Property("DeploymentType")="NEWCOMPUTER" or Property("DeploymentType") = "StateRestore") and Property("DeploymentType")<>"CUSTOM" ]]></Condition>
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ Instr(1, oEnvironment.Item("ImageFlags"), "SERVER", 1) = 0  ]]></Condition>
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ ucase(oEnvironment.Item("IsServerOS")) <> "TRUE" ]]></Condition>
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ FindTaskSequenceStep("//step[@name='Restore User State']", "ZTIUserState.wsf" ) ]]></Condition>
    	</Pane>

Believe it or not, the one that can break this working is most often in my experience simply renaming the "Restore User State" step to something else like "Restore MIG from Network" or whatever.  It's more descriptive for you, but it actually can break some of the logic code that's tied to it.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:09 PM
    Answerer