none
Security Groups and Permission in Project Site RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have scenario of my organization where i need your guidance or support to figure out how do i manage the permission settings.

SCENARIO:

I'm using Project-server Permission mode for PWA and for Project Site(s) I do manage the permission from site settings. In this case let suppose i have two groups on TOP site of project server.

Group1 = Permission level (Read/View)

Group2 = Permission level (Write/Read)

As these groups are inherited in all project sites. In project site there are document library and lists so for ex: there is one Document Library and one Task List.

Document Libraray ----> Inherited Permission -----> Group1, Group2

Task List ----> Inherited Permission -----> Group1, Group2

WHAT I WANT ??

I want to arrange the permission in such way that only Group1 have access to Document Library and Group2 have access on Task List, though this can be achievable via unique permission but in this ways i have to manage on all project sites. How can i do manage this thing on top level or define for once and it will propagate on all sub sites/project site.

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:25 AM

Answers

• Sounds like you would need custom code to go into a site upon provisioning and edit the security.  I don't think you can achieve this with out of the box functionality.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by Danish.M Friday, August 8, 2014 12:00 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 2:43 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you would need custom code to go into a site upon provisioning and edit the security.  I don't think you can achieve this with out of the box functionality.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by Danish.M Friday, August 8, 2014 12:00 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 2:43 AM
  • I think you need to look beyond SharePoint and Project to Active Directory. Inherited permissions aren't quite right for this particular need. I think you need a horizontal permission approach for this type of need. I've done something similar when we provisioned sites with an AD group in the Owners Security group so we could change administrators quickly.

So, here's a thought that might work for you. Note, I'm thinking out loud and have not tested this. Since you are attempting to use inheritance, I'll assume that a member of Group 1 has access to the document library regardless of the site and the same for Group 2 for the Task List.

• Set up active directory groups for Group1 and Group2
    • Customize your site template to have two custom SharePoint security groups, where SharePoint Group 1 has a default member of AD Group 1 and SharePoint Group 2 has a default member of AD Group 2.
    • Give custom permissions on the document library to SharePoint Group 1
    • Give custom permissions on the Task List to SharePoint Group 2
    • You may have to save your template with the include content box to retain the security settings.

Now, when you provision your site, anyone in the AD group 1 should have access to the document library and AD Group 2 has access to the Task list.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @TumbleRoad | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by Danish.M Friday, August 8, 2014 11:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Danish.M Friday, August 8, 2014 11:57 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 6:05 AM