Event Type:        Warning

Event Source:    MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store

Event Category:                General

Event ID:              9685

Date:                     10/14/2011

Time:                     7:48:51 AM

User:                     N/A

Description:

The current physical size of this database (the .edb file and the .stm file) is 52 GB. This database has exceeded the size limit of 48 GB. However, the logical free space in this database has not yet been evaluated. Therefore, it is possible that this database contains enough free space to bring its logical size below the maximum size limit.

If the logical database size exceeds the maximum size limit, it will be dismounted on a regular basis.

We have been running Mailbox Management Process to clean deleted and old e-mail messages based on the Mailbox Manager Settings Policy; however,  I think, there is a lot of white space.  In addition, the disk space on the server is  limited.  What is the best way to resolve this issue?

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:15 PM

Answers

• Look for event 1221 in Application log in order to get the free space in the database.

It is not recommanded to offline defrag (shrink) the exchange database. But if there is a lot of free space you are able to do this task using the tool

eseutil with the parameter /d <databasename> [options]

you are able to use those options:

Option Description
    /b <var>Database</var> Make a backup copy under the specified name
    /t<var>Database</var> Set the temporary database name (the default is Tempdfrg.edb)
    /s<var>File</var> Set the streaming file name (the default is NONE)
    /f<var>File</var> Set the temporary streaming file name (the default is Tempdfrg.stm)
    /p reserve the temporary database (in other words, do not instate)
    P/o Suppress logo
    /i Do not defragment streaming file

Further information you will get here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804/en

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by adal2011 Friday, October 14, 2011 9:23 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:18 PM
  • John,

To answer your question, there is no room to expand the database partition. In addition, on a weekly basis, we have been running Mailbox Management Process to clean deleted and old e-mail messages until we upgrade the server. In my previous post, I was asking for someone to validate my process, if you or anyone can validate the process that would be great.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by adal2011 Monday, October 24, 2011 8:48 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:30 PM

All replies

• Look for event 1221 in Application log in order to get the free space in the database.

It is not recommanded to offline defrag (shrink) the exchange database. But if there is a lot of free space you are able to do this task using the tool

eseutil with the parameter /d <databasename> [options]

you are able to use those options:

Option Description
    /b <var>Database</var> Make a backup copy under the specified name
    /t<var>Database</var> Set the temporary database name (the default is Tempdfrg.edb)
    /s<var>File</var> Set the streaming file name (the default is NONE)
    /f<var>File</var> Set the temporary streaming file name (the default is Tempdfrg.stm)
    /p reserve the temporary database (in other words, do not instate)
    P/o Suppress logo
    /i Do not defragment streaming file

Further information you will get here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804/en

• Marked as answer by adal2011 Friday, October 14, 2011 9:23 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:18 PM
  • If I was going to do the off-line defrag and mapping a Z: drive from different server, what are the exact instructions to accomplish this task.

Thank you

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:27 PM
  • try this command

eseutil /d z:\database.edb /t z:\tempdb.edb

If drive Z: is a network drive be aware of networkconnection loss and propably dataloss. So i think it is not a good idea to mount the where the databse resides on an otherr computer and run the defragmentation process there.

• Edited by Peddy1st Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:51 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I work for a non-profit organization that helps low income families; currently, we have some old servers. To be honest, this is my first time I am going to perform the off-line defrag.  Here are the instructions I came up with as follows:

Stop the Exchange services

Copy the database to another z: drive (mapped drive on another server)

This is an exchange 2003, do I copy both edb and smt

Run eseutil /d z:\database.edb /t z:\tempdb.edb (on the post above said /d or is it /b)

In the original location, since the disk space is limited, after the defrag what should I do, delete the old database and copy the defragged database

Please help validate the above directions and let me know if I am missing a step or 2.

Thanks so much for your help

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:18 PM
  • And... what is the size of the drive that the database sits on?  In other words, what problem are you trying to solve?  If you have space on the disk, simply increase the size limit (max is 75GB).  Unless you have permanently removed a large amount of mail, an offline defrags buys you nothing except a long outage and a lot of pain.  Free space within the database file is used before the database grows; there is always some free space.  In the numbers you quote your's is about 13%.  That's not abnormal.  If you do an offline defrag, within a week or two you'll find yourself in the very same position.

Offline defrag is not something you should be doing willy-nilly, and certainly is not a cure-all for space issues.  There are many downsides that you should carefully consider.  http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2004/07/08/177574.aspx  In your case, with 13% white space in that database and no indication of large permanent deletions of mail, you should look at increasing your database size permanently, not defragging it.

J

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

in my first post I asked you to look for event 1221 in Application log in order to get the free space in the database. Each day an online defragmentation process runs which sorts your database so the the freespace in the database is at one end. So the store process ob the database has not to increase the database because the dabase structure is already there. So offline defragmentation is only necessary if there is a hugh amount oi free space in the database.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:57 PM
  • John,

To answer your question, there is no room to expand the database partition. In addition, on a weekly basis, we have been running Mailbox Management Process to clean deleted and old e-mail messages until we upgrade the server. In my previous post, I was asking for someone to validate my process, if you or anyone can validate the process that would be great.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by adal2011 Monday, October 24, 2011 8:48 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:30 PM