Windows 8- Laptop Frozen on Shutting down screen for over 5 hours RRS feed

• Question

•  Laptop Sony Vaio with Intel Core I5 processor 2012 Model#SVE171E12L

Went to power up my laptop as it was turning on I stepped away. Came back to it displaying a "shutting down" message and the thinking/loading circle dots... its been over 5hrs so I did a hard shut down, powered back to same screen. Took out battery waited a minute and still powers on to "shutting down" message. Left it alone just charging and still same message. HELP!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:54 PM

Answers

• After a manual hard shut down restart the system, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:46 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

Wha't the exactly system edition of yours? As in your title, it is Windows 8 but your provide this question at Windows 7 forum. So, firstly of all, please clear your system edition.

For your problem, according to your description, this problem could be caused by application problem that prevent system shutdown. Hardware device couldn't ended correctly. While this can also be a occasional problem.

Next time you boot into system you can check it if it had same problem when you shutdown system.

In addition, please check Event Log if it identify this problem. If so, we could find the reason of this problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:08 AM

All replies

• After a manual hard shut down restart the system, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

Wha't the exactly system edition of yours? As in your title, it is Windows 8 but your provide this question at Windows 7 forum. So, firstly of all, please clear your system edition.

For your problem, according to your description, this problem could be caused by application problem that prevent system shutdown. Hardware device couldn't ended correctly. While this can also be a occasional problem.

Next time you boot into system you can check it if it had same problem when you shutdown system.

In addition, please check Event Log if it identify this problem. If so, we could find the reason of this problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:08 AM