none
tape drive not visible in Retrospect after uninstalling DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• we've been using Retrospect for Windows for quite some time, with no major problems. we have Dell PowerVault 124T LTO-3 tape drive attached to a PowerEdge 1800 with Windows Server 2008 and an UltraSCSI 320 HBA.

last week, i installed DPM 2010 on this machine to give it a test run and see if it would be worth using as a replacement to our mix of backup softwares. i didn't run any tape backups with DPM but i did have it scan for devices, which found the PV 124.

after uninstalling DPM, now Retrospect sees the tape library/autoloader, but not the tape drive itself. this is a problem, as i can't do any backups. i've tried uninstalling the autoloader/tape drive in device manager and reinstalling, as well as reinstalling retrospect, with no change. i found a reference on the internet to DPM 2007 installing its own drivers for tape drives and a suggestion that this was somehow "hiding" the tape drive from visibility to Retrospect, and that these drivers aren't removed when the application is uninstalled.

i reinstalled DPM 2010 to look and see if there was a way of removing the drivers...or something. it sees the drive and the library, which further reinforces my belief that it's somehow locking out any other applications from seeing the drive, even after DPM is uninstalled.

i've also run the diagnostic utility on the PowerVault, which indicates no problems with the drive itself.

any ideas out there on why this drive is no longer available to Retrospect? does DPM use its own drivers, and if so, how can i remove them from the server?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have run Retrospect on the same server as Data Protection Manager 2010 with both installed. I had no issues. I made sure that Data Protection Manager had no tape backups to run.

Data Protection Manager will use whatever Device Manager sees. If the drives show up there then Data Protection Manager will see them.

I was told Retrospect uses it own drivers and it was best to go to Device Manager and disable the drivers there for both the changer and tapes drives. I have done this and Retrospect works fine.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Michael

• Marked as answer by devolution23 Friday, July 23, 2010 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have run Retrospect on the same server as Data Protection Manager 2010 with both installed. I had no issues. I made sure that Data Protection Manager had no tape backups to run.

Data Protection Manager will use whatever Device Manager sees. If the drives show up there then Data Protection Manager will see them.

I was told Retrospect uses it own drivers and it was best to go to Device Manager and disable the drivers there for both the changer and tapes drives. I have done this and Retrospect works fine.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Michael

• Marked as answer by devolution23 Friday, July 23, 2010 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:52 PM
  • well, that helps somewhat. i wondered if it was possible to have both installed and functional on the same machine.

i think retrospect used to use a separate driver, but i don't think that's the case anymore. at least, i haven't been able to find anything. i think the older versions used .rdi files, but those don't seem to exist in 7.7.

i've tried everything i can think of and i can't get the drive to appear. i really don't want to reinstall windows to see if that resolves it but i may have no choice. i need to get backups working and no one seems to have any suggestions based on previous experience with this sort of thing. retrospect was recently purchased by roxio and their support seems to be harder to contact than when it was EMC. i'm waiting on a response to a web support ticket.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

I must admit my Retrospect was 7.6. Sorry it wasn't a lot of help. I can only tell you what I saw.

Hope you get it fixed.

Best wishes

Michael

Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Just in case anyone else is experiencing this problem, I managed to get the tape drive up and running again.

The situation: Retrospect was running fine, including tape support (a somewhat oldish LTo-2 in this case). For testing purposes, I removed Retrospect and installed DPM 2010. A little later, I removed DPM and reinstalled Retrospect. Tape shows up under "Environment", but not under "Status".

Removing the tape from device manager made the tape show up, but as unresponsive. I did notice that device manager didn't give me the option to delete the driver completely, though. So I took my favourite driver manager tool to remove the MS LTO driver completely. Reboot. Remove and reinstall Retrospect, et voilà: everything back to normal.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:18 AM