Issue with SQL connections not being released by SharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I've done a search, but couldn't find anything regarding this topic and wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

We had an issue this morning with users being unable to open any site collection within a particular content database. We could not find any issues opening any other site collections on other content databases within our farm.  Users didn't get any specific error messages, just a "Waiting for site..." message in the status bar and a blank web browser page.

I tried using STSADM commands to detach and reconnect the content database, but that did not resolve the issue. Our dba said that there were 319 connections to that content database and recommended killing the connections. After doing so, we were able to connect to those sites again.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I've looked through SQL logs and SharePoint ULS logs, but couldn't find anything, so I'm not sure what the root cause is of this or what can be done to prevent this from occurring again.

Thoughts and feedback are welcome.

Thanks!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:58 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, June 7, 2010 4:24 PM

Answers

• My first thought would be that you don't have SQL set to autogrow, or that your temp DB simply isn't large enough.

Perhaps start here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175527.aspx

Regards

John Timney

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, June 18, 2010 8:07 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:18 PM