none
.NET 3.5 Activity Library project in Visual Studio 2015 missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

I am trying to build MIMWAL. https://github.com/Microsoft/MIMWAL/wiki/build-and-deployment

Following their build guide, I've installed Visual Studio 2015. Downloaded and put the necessary files in their place, replaced the snk file.

When it comes time to build the solution, I get following error.

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: WorkflowActivityLibrary, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    1>C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Workflow.targets(121,5): error : Compilation failed. Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
    2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: WorkflowActivityLibrary.UI, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    2>CSC : error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\MIMWAL-2.18.0318.0\src\WorkflowActivityLibrary\bin\Release\MicrosoftServices.IdentityManagement.WorkflowActivityLibrary.dll' could not be found
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 skipped ==========

As you can see, VS attempts to use .NET 4.0 to build the solution, when it should be using 3.5.

By going to File --> New --> Project --> Select .NET Framework 3.5, I can see that there is no Activity Library available. By selecting .NET 4.0 or newer, there is Activity Library.

I've reinstalled Visual Studio 2015, and even selected most components to install. I've also ensured that .NET 3.5 is installed in Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off. I am using Windows 10.

What do I need to do in order to get the missing project type and successfully build the solution

Monday, November 12, 2018 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi lehtoj,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to the description, your issue is about the MIMWAL development. Since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, I will help you move this thread to the appropriate forum for a more professional support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:04 AM
  • I've already discussed the issue in MIMWAL issue tracker. They asked me to ask the question here, because my problem is not related to MIMWAL.

https://github.com/Microsoft/MIMWAL/issues/56#issuecomment-437833850

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Hi, since this post is already moved, I doubt anyone from the original forum will now see your post. Probably worth posting without any reference to MIMWAL. May be you just want to mention that you want to create a new .NET 3.5 Workflow Activity Library and VS2015 only presents you with the option for created a new WF activity library project for .NET 4+. Also mention in that post the complete version/edition of the VS in the post.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:16 AM
    Owner
  • Hi lehtoj,

Have you tried to repair or re-install VS 2015? 

I installed the VS 2015 with the default installation on the Windows 10 computer, go to File-New-Project and select the .NET Framework 3.5, the Workflow Activity Library template is available as below:

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Yes I have tried repair install.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Probably a dumb question, but is this really VS 2015 and not 2017 by any chance? It's only VS 2017 that does not support .NET 3.5 WF projects.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:41 PM
    Owner
  • Yes it is 2015.

A colleague also attempted to build MIMWAL on his work computer and encountered exact same issue as I did. He then attempted to build it on his home computer and succeeded.

Although we still cannot build the solution on work computers, at least we have a workaround.

Friday, November 16, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi all!

And what about VS 2019? Actually I've successfully compiled MIMWAL with VS 2019.

Is it only 2017 that cannot be used to build WAL?

Just for understanding.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:01 PM