none
windows xp start menu search is missing RRS feed

• Question

• when i go to the start menu the search is missing. the one i use to find files and folder which i cant find now. now there is a magnafying glass and it takes me somewhere else.  i did have a virus or maleware that i got rid of .  how do i get my search back>  thanks     PLEASE HELP

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

•  

If you have installed Windows SteadyState on the computer, we need to narrow down if the issue is caused by SteadyState or system factors.

Does the issue occur on Administrator accounts? If you disable all restrictions in SteadyState, does the issue still occur?

In this way, we can see if any restriction cause the issue or this issue is not related to SteadyState.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi, have you installed Windows SteadyState on the computer? I suggest you first try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Right-click on the Start button
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Select the Start Menu tab
    4. Press the Customize button
    5. Select the Advanced tab
    6. Scroll down through the Start menu items list
    7. Check the box next to Search
    8. Press OK twice

Let's check if Search is available now.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:00 AM
  • yes i have and it dont work.  do you know anything else i can do?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:44 PM
  •  

If you have installed Windows SteadyState on the computer, we need to narrow down if the issue is caused by SteadyState or system factors.

Does the issue occur on Administrator accounts? If you disable all restrictions in SteadyState, does the issue still occur?

In this way, we can see if any restriction cause the issue or this issue is not related to SteadyState.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:05 AM
  •  

what and where is Windows SteadyState?? what do i do with it? 
    Friday, October 3, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Did you configure steady state to not allow this option?  Check your security settings in Steady State.

Friday, October 3, 2008 9:03 PM
  • HI Any more sugestion i'm still stuck can you help!!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:09 AM
  •  

Hi, if you have not installed Windows SteadyState on the computer, you'd better post the issue to Windows XP forum as this forum is mainly focus on Windows SteadyState related issues:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

Thank you for your understanding.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:54 AM