Hibernate Reboots to 'Windows Error Recovery' RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok.  As the subject says, started last friday for some unknown reason.

I have checked the disk, checked for malware, been through every powercfg thing I can think of, tried repairing my boot record, tried checking for problems in boot logs and I am stumped, tried every knowledge base article I could find...

My machine will simply not resume from hibernation.

Vista Business

4GB, Intel Centrino

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't have a solution, I just have the same problem.

Maybe more info would be useful.

My system is:

Lenovo T61p 14" T7500, 4GB ram, Intel Turbo Memory (1GB - fully enabled), Vista Ultimate 6.0.6001 (with SP1).

I did not have this problem when I had the original 2GB RAM on my laptop so this could be related.

Maybe somebody finds a solution to this problem.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 12:43 AM
  • Me too recently upgraded to 4GB of ram and my computer does not resume from hibernation.

Black screen no hard drive usage; no messages.

Seems to be a problem with xp too for computers that have ABOVE 4096..

I don't care if its slow to hibernate with 4gb of ram..I like to keep work open on my laptop and carry it to and from school in hibernate mode.

I dont have above 4096mb exactly Ive tried disabling and reenabling hibernate (powercfg -h on ... off  ;; powercfg /hibernate on)

My hiberfile.sys file is 3gb and that is how much ram my computer is recognizing.

Somebody help!
    tj

SONY VGNAR190G -4GB ram
    Vista SP1 32bit

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:33 PM
  •  

i too have this problem with windows vista on a sony laptop vgn-fe41s, ive recently upgraded to 4gb of memory (2x 2gb sticks) and it just wont resume from hibernate, just a black screen, its fine with the 2gb in though, im wondering if limiting the maximum memory in MSCONFIG to around 3.2 gb might help? im guna try it when i get home ill let you know the outcome
    Monday, April 7, 2008 10:58 AM
  • I had a similar issue that was occuring on all freshly imaged vista PCs regardless of what hardware they were runnning on (for the record, they all had 1-2GB of RAM).  Basically, they'd hibernate, but I got the "Windows error recovery" screen upon restarting.

Premier support indicated that this was a problem with the BCD (which is the Vista replacement for boot.ini), and referred me to the following KB article. 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;951218

This seems to resolve the issue.

Note: you can use the following to back up the BCD before modifying it:

bcdedit /export "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Creates a backup to a pre-created
    folder, in this case “BCD Backup” on drive D:

bcdedit /import "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Restores the backup previously created

• Proposed as answer by tartooob Thursday, March 5, 2009 1:16 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Yes, it solved my problem. Thanks for posting this!

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:16 PM
  • An additional note for those of you who are experiencing this issue when deploying an image (I was getting it on all machines deployed via an SCCM / Configuration Manager 2007 task sequence)...

I was able to fix this on the image by running the following command in the task sequence - after the OS deployment, but before loading the applications:

bcdedit.exe /create {resumeloadersettings} /d "Resume Loader Settings"

Apparently, the fact that this "resumeloadersettings" entry was missing from the BCD on the imaged machines was preventing hibernate from working properly.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 7:18 PM
  • I bought a Brand new Dell laptop with 4GB of RAM.  Since it would not come out of hibernation I called Dell.  Guess what they told me?  This is not a problem.  This is the way Microsoft actually designed Windows, so that it will not come out of hibernation.  This is an issue for anyone with 4GB of RAM, only.  They are surprized at how many people aren't happy with their computers not coming out of hibernation. There is no fix, at least at this time because they do not even admit that it is a problem.  They told me that it would not matter if it was a Dell, an HP or any other brand; it would do the same thing, stay in hibernation.  Only the computers that have exactly 4 GB of RAM have this "problem".  If your machine has more or less RAM you are fine.  It also does not matter if you have XP or Vista, it will do the same thing; stay in hibernation.  
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:35 PM
  • You guys are frigin' AMAZING!  I figured my Vista was toast until I stumbled upon this thread.  I assumed that the re-imaging to a larger drive or playing with Bitlocker was causing the Hibernation problem.  Who would have thought that the RAM upgrade had anything to do with it, and BCDEdit did the trick.  THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Thank you alot bro, it solved my hibernation problem in windows vista sp1  :)
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Thanks much, this was giving me a fit and your link and message saved the day.  Thanks for posting!!
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:46 AM