Page numbers missing when I save Word 2016 document as a PDF RRS feed

• Question

• My Word 2016 document has page numbers in the page footer. When I save the entire document to PDF, the page numbers show up OK, but when I save only selected pages, the page numbers are completely missing from the PDF.

Is this a bug in Word 2016 or am I missing something?

Thursday, February 28, 2019 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, I found that I could reproduce what you got. From my point of view, I think it is by design. When you manually select the content you want to print, the selected part does not include the header and footer, and the selected content is in the body. This is why there is no page number printed.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Bertram,

What detailed version of Word 2016 are you using? Please open a document in Word, click File > Account > About Word to check the version information.

How did you export your document to PDF? Did you use the feature Save As or Export (Create a PDF/XPS document)? Or Microsoft Print to PDF? 

Please try to create a blank document in Word, type or copy some content into it, insert Page Number in the footer,try to export the document to PDF? Will the issue still occur?

I had a test in my Word 2016 (Build 16.0.4738.1000 MSI), and there was no issue.

If you have anything unclear and updates, please feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, March 1, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016
    Version 1901 (Build 11231.20174 Click-to-Run).

Hi Herb,

I created a test document as you suggested. Same problem. Using print to pdf, Page numbers don't appear when I select pages, but do appear when I print (to pdf) the whole thing.

I'm writing a book (12 chapters so far and over 100 pages). I'm sending individual chapters to my proof-reader. Looking back, this problem has only started in the last few days, as page numbers were OK in previous chapters I emailed across to her.

Here are the steps:

1. Open Word document
    2. Select all the text in a chapter (using shift key + downward arrow)
    3. Ctrl-P
    4. Select "Microsoft Print to PDF" as the printer
    5. Under "Settings", select "Just what you selected"
    6. Click "Print"
    7. Enter a file name for the PDF
    8. Click "Save"

It's not the end of the world. The important thing is that I must deliver my book to the printers as a PDF. Luckily, as said previously, page numbers do appear when I print the whole thing.

BTW, at Steps 3-5, the page numbers ARE visible in the print preview pane.
    • Edited by Bertram12 Friday, March 1, 2019 9:38 AM typo
    Friday, March 1, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I found that I could reproduce what you got. From my point of view, I think it is by design. When you manually select the content you want to print, the selected part does not include the header and footer, and the selected content is in the body. This is why there is no page number printed.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:36 AM