Windows Vista Home Preimum Problems RRS feed

• Question

• i have two computers. a Emachines W3623 and a Dell Dimension E521 The Emachines has windows vista home basic installed on it. i bought windows home preimum for it and installed it. it worked just fine but when i got the dell it had no opperating sistem on it. so i uninstalled the windows home preimum from the emachines and re installed windows vista home basic on it. then i installed windows home preimum on the dell. but now it says the product kee is still in use and i cant activate windows because of this. What can i do to fix this? surely i dont hafto pay another hundred and fifty bucks for another product kee when i already paid for the one i cant use now
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• The OEM eMachine Windows Vista Basic edition activation mechanism is BIOS-locked to an eMachine motherboard.  It cannot be activated on a Dell computer.  You'll need to remove it by reformatting the hard drive, then purchase and install a new edition of Windows Vista.  Example: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit for System Builders
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Are you saying that when he upgraded the eMachine, it BIOS-locked the Vista Home Premium activation code and now it can't be downgraded to the Vista Basic version it came with, thus freeing up the activation code for the Vista Home Premium upgrade he purchased? So he needs to buy another copy of Home premium because the activation code for it got locked on the eMachine when he upgraded? That seems pretty harsh for what is essentially a BIOS problem. Won't it work if he just logs off the eMachine so the activation software won't see it as active and allow it to install - i mean, how does it know it's still active unless he's connected?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:02 PM