none
Server 2016 Start Menu and Search Bar not working after joining to 2011 SBS Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently introduced a Server 2016 to a domain that was historically built on 2011 SBS. 

It was quickly apparent that as soon as I joined the 2016 server, the Start Menu and Search bar stopped functioning. At the time, I didn't think too much of it (we've all seen these flakey start menu issues I'm sure). I assumed I would get round to sorting that out once the network and domain level had been upgraded (also it was a project that needed completion over a single weekend, so time was of the essence?.

I didn't think too much more about <g class="gr_ gr_725 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="725" id="725">it,</g> until I tried to join a Windows 10 PC to the domain. At this point, it was obvious (after a couple of re-build) that as soon as the Windows 10 PC was dropped into the domain, the Start Menu stopped working on that as well. 

At this point, I assumed it was something server-based/group policy related, stemming from the historical SBS server. I disabled everything I could from a 2011 SBS GPO point of view. From then on, all new Windows 10 PC's have been able to join the domain without having the start menu's affected. 

<g class="gr_ gr_1610 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="1610" id="1610">HOWEVER</g>, I'm still stuck with a production 2016 server that I just can't find a way of resolving the start menu problem with.

Any advice would be very much appreciated - I've tried everything that I've managed to grab from these forums, all to no avail.

Many thanks,

Friday, May 4, 2018 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Start menu stops working on Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 after join domain.

On Windows 10, please try to switch to log on system using local admin account, and confirm that if problem also happens on local user account.

On Windows Server 2016, please check/install available Windows Update, make sure that your system is fully patched. Besides, please open CMD and type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 7, 2018 7:49 AM