none
corrupted homegroup RRS feed

• Question

• I have been told that I have a corrupted homegroup on my computer. 

When ever I try to create or join a homegroup the computer says that Window cannot setup a homegroup on this computer. 

I have deleted the Idstor.sst and that did not clear up the problem.

How can I delete the corrupted homegroup so I can create a one.

ghb

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:25 AM

Answers

• Still no luck. both Homp Group Provier and Home group Listener services are started.

Still getting the "Windows can not set up a Homegroup on this computer"

The  Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter does not provide any recommations.

ghb

• Edited by mrbnew Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mrbnew Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hello

Try the following methods and see if they help

Methods I would recommend are:

Method 1:Boot the computer in safe mode with networking and then try to connect to home group. Steps to follow:

i. Restart the computer

ii. Start tapping F8 key

iii. You will get advanced boot option window

iv. Select the option Safe mode with networking

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 2:

Change TCP/IP settings. Follow the steps listed in the below link: Change TCP/IP settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

Method 3:

If any third party anti-virus is installed, try disabling the same and check if that helps. If you are able to join workgroup then you might need to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Link for reference:

Home sweet home group: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/home-sweet-homegroup-networking-the-easy-way

Frequently asked question: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449408(WS.10).aspx

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:02 PM
  • I must not been clear as to the problem I am having.

I had a certified tech tell be that my computer has a workgroup on the system and it is preventing me from using homegroups.  The system will not let me create or join a homegroup.  When I try to either create or join a homegroup the system say "Windows cannot create a homegroup on this computer" I have followed all the advice I can find and nothing seems to work.  Is there any way to remove the workgroup from this computer? 

The only advice I was given was to scrub the system and reload a new copy of windows 7.  This would be a drastic step as would take me days to reload all the software and data I have on the system.

ghb

Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:06 PM
  • The only time I had this kind of issue was when one of my PC still was retaining a home group, and some how multiple homegroup was being generated, I could not join a home group, the create was not available.

I found I still had one PC that I had home group joined, but was not my home group, as soon as I left home group on that PC, all cleared and I was able to create home group.

If you have laptops, do not join a home group that is not your home.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I must not been clear as to the problem I am having.

I had a certified tech tell be that my computer has a workgroup on the system and it is preventing me from using homegroups.  The system will not let me create or join a homegroup.  When I try to either create or join a homegroup the system say "Windows cannot create a homegroup on this computer" I have followed all the advice I can find and nothing seems to work.  Is there any way to remove the workgroup from this computer? 

The only advice I was given was to scrub the system and reload a new copy of windows 7.  This would be a drastic step as would take me days to reload all the software and data I have on the system.

ghb

I don't agree with what a "certified tech" told you.  I have a workgroup name for my home network that I have been using since Windows XP and it in no way interfers with the establishment of the Windows 7 Homegroup using the wizard found in the control Panel called HomeGroup. I have 3 desktop computers and 2 portable computers with Windows 7 and they all see each other in the Windows 7 HomeGroup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:34 PM
  • A workgroup joined computer also can join a HomeGroup.

What's the version of your Windows 7?

Click Start, type homegroup, and then press ENTER. Click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter.

Check the result.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions.  I have tried all of them.  When I left me notebook on this system ask for the password. 

When I entered it I still received a message that this computer cannot join a homegroup.

Any other suggestions?

ghb

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Click on the start orb and type Services. Click on services in the results above.  Verify that the Home Group Provider and Home group Listener services are not disabled and are started.

Jerry

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Still no luck. both Homp Group Provier and Home group Listener services are started.

Still getting the "Windows can not set up a Homegroup on this computer"

The  Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter does not provide any recommations.

ghb

• Edited by mrbnew Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mrbnew Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:46 PM