Hi, I need some help. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I need somehelp, with my laptop black screening upon Windows+L

I'll try to put in as much information as possible.

1) I've googled it, but there's just too much black screen related events. I doubt it's a video related issue.

2) Drivers are all updated, bios, windows update, hardware driver, all is updated.

3) The black screen only occurs when I Windows+L to lock my laptop if I go out. I suspect that there's a probability that upon Windows+L is pressed, some processed is not properly closed off.... there's no proper Windows Logon screen displayed, and it's just stuck in all black screens..

4) During the black screen, the laptop is totally unresponsive, EXCEPT that my FN+X keys still works, FN F5 for example actually is able to bring up the  WiFi On/Off GUI on the otherwise black screen. FN+Sleep puts it to sleep, FN+ Brightness control still works.

5) My mouse pointer is available, although the clicks is not registered

6) Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work

7) I can only hard power it off to escape. It doesn't happen too frequently, maybe once in a day/2 days, when it does happens, all my works are lost and it has happened up to 6-10 times+ and I'm getting frustrated with it.

8) Attempts and hours were spent on googling, but none of their solution works.. Pls help. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum too :(

Monday, June 22, 2015 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think it is still video driver relevant. I have met this kind of case before, the newer driver didn’t help. However, reverting the video drivers back to the officially supported manufacturer’s version did the trick. I suggest you download the version from manufacturer website for one more try.

In the other hand, if you are using a driver from manufacturer, try uninstall this camera and install with Microsoft version.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi Deason, I have tried the official driver from Lenovo, and I'm still experiencing it on and off. I would say the overall probability of it happening is about 5%

Windows is legit, and is activated in an AD environment

The odds adds up if I follow best practice of locking up when I leave my desk~! :(

I guess I got lucky with it, and I didn't get the crash for an extended period, but suddenly it came back with a vengeance, the symptom changed a bit, instead of purely a black screen, i get the windows background of the locked screen shown, but the Username/Password field that's supposed to be in the center is not rendered.

Again, once this happened, I have no way to regain access to my laptop.

**PS, I've now enabled RD for my laptop... Let's see if i can RD in the next time it happens again.

EDIT >> OK, I'll try to remove lenovo's drivers and let microsoft do its thing with the drivers. At least I'm glad someone else has it too in a way. lol

EDIT 2 >> One of the constant amongst all the time it crashes is, I have Chrome running. I've since removed other softwares that I was suspecting may cause the crash. Although that's far fetched, I've just installed firefox, and will use FF exclusively to see if Chrome is directly/indirectly involved... but again it's highly unlikely that Chrome is able to interfere with the Locking up process.

I'll try to rollback the VGA driver to MSFT's and see how it goes. At least that narrows it down a bit, that someone else had the same issue before as well too.. Thanks again Deason

I'm attaching a pic of it here. 

• Edited by Wai Hoong Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:23 AM