Force Deactivation or Enforce Reduced Functionality RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, here is my question.

Is there a way to force Windows Vista into the "Reduced Functionality" mode or deactivate it somehow?  Or, possibly disable it?

I'm working on the Vista image that we're going to be deploying throughout the business.  My boss has asked about making a "beta" version of our image available to some of the application teams to do application testing and such.  My boss would like a way of being sure that these machines are only temporary.  He's looking for a "poison pill" that will render it useless either after a set number of days, or at any time we decide to pull the trigger.

The image we'd be providing would not be activated (we ultimately will be using KMS to do our activation).  We don't want them to be able to activate it should they discover our KMS prior to things going into production or using a key they acquired elsewhere.

I don't really want to prevent it from booting up (I would like to at least give them the opportunity to retrieve anything they were working on), I just want to make it useless as a platform.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I don't know a way to limit the usage of Vista while on the 30 day grace period, but if you want to return or remove a current activated license back to the 30 day trial. try the following command:

slmgr -upk (uninstalls current product key and i would assume puts license back to trial state)

Good Luck
    Ricardo Fuentes A+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Friday, March 20, 2009 4:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:37 AM

All replies

• Read me:
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product_key_already_in_use.htm

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Hi there,

I don't know a way to limit the usage of Vista while on the 30 day grace period, but if you want to return or remove a current activated license back to the 30 day trial. try the following command:

slmgr -upk (uninstalls current product key and i would assume puts license back to trial state)

Good Luck
    Ricardo Fuentes A+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Friday, March 20, 2009 4:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:37 AM