none
project professional 2010: task links appear in a messy and weird way when printing project plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project plan on microsoft project 2010. When I print preview or print the plan, the task links appear in a weird, messy way unlike how they appear in the Gantt chart view. I have copied the project plan to a different computer, opened it, and printed it without any problem! I have uninstalled and re-installed the version believing that the problem is from the installation but that didn't fix the problem. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

Some printing problems about links disappear whwn you install Service Pack 1. Do give that a try!

Greetings,

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:21 AM
  • My understanding of the technology is that the printer driver controls what is displayed in print preview. 

Focus your attention on what is different between the two computers (especially printer driver versions).  Even if the same printer driver version, I would recommend re-installing with a newer version (if possible) of the printer driver.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:22 AM

All replies

• George,

Printing problems are almost always caused by printer driver issues.  Check on the mal-functioning computer you are using the same printer driver versions as on the computer that works.  Also, on the mal-functioning computer, check that you have exactly the same version of Project (same patch level), and try different printers.

(un-install/re-install is unlikely to fix anything, as you have noticed).

See Printing Problems on MVP Site

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the help! I am kind of sure the problem is not from the printer driver since the links appear corrupted in the print preview too before even printing. I will check the microsoft project versions and make sure they are the same and then let you know what happens. 

Thanks again,

George

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi all,

Some printing problems about links disappear whwn you install Service Pack 1. Do give that a try!

Greetings,

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:21 AM
  • My understanding of the technology is that the printer driver controls what is displayed in print preview. 

Focus your attention on what is different between the two computers (especially printer driver versions).  Even if the same printer driver version, I would recommend re-installing with a newer version (if possible) of the printer driver.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Hi geo_d - We teach to only print from the project when we are trying to print the whole waterfall using a large plotter.   Our presentation-quality schedules are created using screen capture and then pasting/cropping into PowerPoint.  Printing from MS-Project is not WYSIWYG and it is not worth the effort fussing to resolve the difference between what you see in the client and what comes out on the printer.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

I beg to disagree... I teach to only print from the Project views, it's better and simpler than alternatives I've seen

Greetings,

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:54 PM