Exchange mail - encryption attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For Exchange mail encryption, does it contain any of the following:

Files with any of the following combinations of attributes:

• Encryption and reparse
    • Encryption and Single Instance Storage (SIS)
    • Encryption and case-sensitivity
    • Encryption and sparse
    • Case-sensitivity and SIS
    • Compression and SIS

Reason is DPM does not support these and i am using it to backup Exchange.

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Monday, August 20, 2018 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Per my knowledge, exchange encryption does not contain these combinations of attributes.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 2:59 AM
  • Thanks Niko,

Do you know what kind of files fall under the Encryption with Case-sensitivity category?

Thanks

Regards Peter

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I don't know where you got these combinations of attributes. Per my experience, in general, Case-sensitivity encryption is often used for password encryption method.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi Niko,

this link > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/dpm-support-issues?view=sc-dpm-1807

It says DPM does not support these file types so hence my question if exchange data when encrypted would fall in the file type not supported.

Also i have other application data and some may be encrypted or have case sensitive so i just need clarification what those unsupported data types are - i.e. encryption + case sensitive attributes.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:10 AM
  • Hi Peter,

As this is not Exchange related question, I recommend you ask these unsupported data types in DPM forum, they should have more professional knowledge on that and you may get an explanation timely. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Monday, August 27, 2018 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:09 AM