problems saving background themes RRS feed

• Question

• when i mod a theme and save it. it doesn't save and create a new theme
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• eaglevision,

Now I understand. This is actually the default behavior of Windows 7, as it allows you to save every incarnation of your desktop settings without having to overwrite them.

If ever you did want to delete an old theme you'd meant to save over, you can do so from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. You can also, of course, delete a theme directly from the Personalize menu by right-clicking on it, but this may not be immediately obvious if you're using the theme in question.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Friday, June 19, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:28 PM

All replies

• eaglevision,

Just so that we're both on the same page, I'm going to share my exact experience with saving desktop themes:

I booted up Windows 7 fresh from a clean installation - fish wallpaper and everything - changed the Desktop background, opened the "Personalize..." prompt from the right-click menu to find that I now had an "unsaved theme" (for which Windows Aero had changed the system tray background, etc., to match the wallpaper I'd set), clicked the "Save theme" button, was prompted to give it a name, and voila.

What part are you having trouble with?
    -Alex
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:21 AM
  • it after u saved your theme and you go back and try to mod the theme you do your changes and click save changes and its spawns a copy of the theme you try to save and no changes were made to the original them you were trying to work with
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:30 AM
  • eaglevision,

Now I understand. This is actually the default behavior of Windows 7, as it allows you to save every incarnation of your desktop settings without having to overwrite them.

If ever you did want to delete an old theme you'd meant to save over, you can do so from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. You can also, of course, delete a theme directly from the Personalize menu by right-clicking on it, but this may not be immediately obvious if you're using the theme in question.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Friday, June 19, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:28 PM