Migrating content database to farm with different build number RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to attach a MOSS content database from FarmA (SP2) to FarmB (SP2 + Oct Cumulative) when both farms are on different builds? Will FarmB automatically upgrade the content database schema to the new build when I run the stsadm addcontentdb comman? Or do I need to upgrade FarmA to match FarmB in build number first?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use a content database from one SharePoint farm in another farm as long as the new farm is on the same or a newer build number. The second farm will upgrade the database to the current farm's schema once it is attached either through the Central Admin site or STSADM's AddContentDB operation. You cannot go from a newer build back to an older build.

Keep in mind that if there are any custom solutions deployed to your original farm, you will likely see reduced functionality or see nothing but errors if you try to access the contents of that database without deploying those solutions to the new farm as well. Likewise, if you try to go from MOSS to WSS there is a good chance that you'll have problems with your sites looking for functionality that isn't present in that platform.

But if you're going from an older build in one farm to the same or a newer build in the new farm, SharePoint should upgrade that content database without issue as a part of the attachment.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by JohnXO Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:58 PM