none
DHCP Relay with pfsense, no relaying. No PXE boot. Need a RAS to relay? RRS feed

• Question

• DHCP01, DHCP02 (Failover (not cluster)) on network 172.16.16.0/16 that have a pfsense gateway. I want to be able to relay dhcp broadcasts to my 192.168.1.0/24 network. I have enabled the Relay agent in pfsense, but it dont seems to work, Im not able to PXE boot my machines on the 192.168.1.0/24 network, that is the idea with this setup and it should work? Or do I have to use a Server2012 as a RAS server with a dhcp relay.

I dont even see dhcp traffic in wireshark.

• Edited by abborre Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:36 AM

Answers

• I solved my own problem.

pfsense does not support (it seems?!) PXE boot with dhcp relay. It worked great when I testet it with a RAS server with dhcp agents.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hi abborre,

>>I dont even see dhcp traffic in wireshark.

Do you mean on DHCP server?

Connect a computer to network 192.168.1.2/24, boot and check if it could get IP address from DHCP server.

If not, I suppose you could check the DHCP relay agent and DHCP server configuration.

Then check the connection between DHCP servers and DHCP relay agent.

DHCP relay agent send message to DHCP server to gain IP address by point-to-point, so if they doesn’t work, it could be pfsense problem or DHCP configuration issues.

Best regard

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:35 AM
  • I solved my own problem.

pfsense does not support (it seems?!) PXE boot with dhcp relay. It worked great when I testet it with a RAS server with dhcp agents.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:30 AM