Update error + reboot: 0x80070002- 0x20009 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having great difficulties updating to Windows 10.

I've both used the manual tool as well as the automatic update up to two times; and the installation process seems to work just fine until +/- 80% and the PC needs to reboot. After the reboot, a split second of the 'black' installation screen occurs and then I'm being rebooted again with the message:
    Error 0x800700020x20009 "The installation failed in the Safe_OS with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation"

It then rolls back to Windows 8.1

It seems that the installation procedure doesn't have full access to my hard drive?

There seem to be few people having this error so far - though I've seen several threads regarding updating to Windows 8.1 with the same error. It might have something to do with the set-up; considering an awful lot of the people back then were running Lenovo systems with a Crucial SSD, like mine. Or would that be a coincidence?

Any advice?

• Edited by Sirdens Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:11 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:10 AM

Answers

• Disconnected 2nd SSD and HDD, ran Windows Update troubleshooter which resolved 3 errors, then ran Win10 standalone. Upgrade successful. Hope you have the same result! 
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, July 31, 2015 10:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sirdens Friday, July 31, 2015 2:09 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:29 AM

All replies

• I am in the same boat with the same error. Have run DISM and SFC with no resolve. Have two SSDs, an Intel 240GB as boot drive, another SSD as additional storage, and one HDD with OLD_PC on it. Install has failed 4x. My next step is the upgrade from USB stick but I am sure it will fail as well.

• Edited by mkplass Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:26 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:24 AM
  • Also have two SSDs. I have a hunch it might have something to do with disk management. Does your second SSD also have multiple NTFS partitions with EFI?
    • Edited by Sirdens Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:33 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:31 AM
  • No, I use it just for steam games. I am thinking it has to do with available free space on install drive. About to move a bunch of games from C to E and see if free space works. What GPU do you have? I have an nvidia and I know there were issues with that as well, but I think this is about lack of space. Will report back momentarily. 
    • Edited by mkplass Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:37 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:34 AM
  • AMD GPU. And plenty of space here (100gb free).

I've come across a Win 8.1 thread that suggest unplugging the additional hard drives did the trick. Will try that tomorrow (and will report back).

Another suggestion I've found was cleaning your old HDD (I cloned the current install about a year ago). Though I do not quite understand how cleaning the old HDD has anything to do with it.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:43 AM
  • My current install is also a clone from an HDD. Will do the same and report back. It's my last hail mary attempt.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:47 AM
  • Disconnected 2nd SSD and HDD, ran Windows Update troubleshooter which resolved 3 errors, then ran Win10 standalone. Upgrade successful. Hope you have the same result! 
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, July 31, 2015 10:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sirdens Friday, July 31, 2015 2:09 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Did the exact same thing, worked out eventually.

Glad to hear you've resolved it as well.

I do have to admit that Microsoft's support has been largely disappointing on this manner. No solution being offered here on this forum; same when I called the help-desk today.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Hi Sirdens,

Apologize for the late response.

Which I should point oout is that forums here is supposed to have the folks help with each other. As Windows 10 just comes, there are a lot of threads created here.

We appreciate your patience very much and glad to see that the issue solved by yourselves, with the shared experiences.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:06 AM
  • as seen on other threads, specifically upgrading from Windows 10 1511 to 1607: I had to remove a data-only drive in order for the update to 'take'.  The downloaded program appeared to run through to requesting a reboot, but afterwards still showed 1511.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:42 PM
  • removing the second (data-only) drive also worked for me.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:43 PM