none
Windows Install Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

So I've been able to PXE Boot this laptop at work but the Windows install keeps failing out on me. Here is the link to the setupact.log file https://ndusbpos-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/richard_drury_ndus_edu/EUXYDiZ-aXxBnXLLqvvnXiAB3VJrBkfA6ecJ69RT6QnSMg?e=GhRmvY

It doesn't always fail at oem9.inf sometimes it's oem11.inf so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I've looked at the inf files and each of them is different, one is an intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver and the other is an intel thunderbolt driver. If it helps at all, this install is going on a M.2 PCIe NVMe drive and I know that I've read that there are issues with installing Windows on those. I just need this to go through and I don't really know what else to do about this.

Monday, October 1, 2018 2:01 PM

Answers

• I looked through both of them and setuperr.log had no content at all, and there were no errors in smsts.log. I did a little bit of troubleshooting on my own and found the solution. Legacy must be disabled entirely, only UEFI should be enabled. Secure Boot must be enabled and in your DHCP you have to add rule 60 "PXEClient" in order to get it to show up at all. After doing that, it seems to disable Legacy PXEBoot but it is easy enough to change that later on if needed. The last thing I noticed is that the driver step cannot be "Apply Driver Package" but instead should be "Auto Apply Drivers" for whatever reason the laptops that we got with the Toshiba drive do not like the driver package step and seem to prefer getting the auto drivers. After making these changes I was able to PXEBoot and the Task Sequence completed just fine. Microsoft needs to find a way to get some drivers that work with deployment, or add an exception for NVMe drives because this has been ridiculous, I have spent the better part of 2-weeks trying to get my Task Sequence to work and I've seen a lot of other people having issues with Microsoft stuff and NVMe drives and each one seems to have its own work around. We need a solution that works with all drives, because if we get more machines that have a different manufacturers NVMe drive in them, I would prefer not to spend another 2-weeks pulling my hair out, trying to get my TS to work for that specific one because Microsoft won't send out a solution and tends to like to blame the NVMe manufacturers for the issues, when they seem to work just fine with other operating systems. I'm just saying.

Side Note: The Win-Raid drivers for the Toshiba XG5 don't like to be deployed. I could not get the driver to accept the certificate before deployment and it wound up blowing up my driver package. The Win-Raid drivers are fine for personal use and I'm sure they work well for some people if used on a personal computer, but they are not good for deployment at all.

• Proposed as answer by Kiodos Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick.Drury Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:34 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the log, we know you want to install Windows 10 on the Toshiba SSD by SCCM.

In order to get a more concreted idea of this issue, I would appreciate your help to collect the following information for further troubleshooting.

Take a screenshot of the error and Task Sequence.

• smsts.log
    • setuperr.log 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 8:17 AM
  • I looked through both of them and setuperr.log had no content at all, and there were no errors in smsts.log. I did a little bit of troubleshooting on my own and found the solution. Legacy must be disabled entirely, only UEFI should be enabled. Secure Boot must be enabled and in your DHCP you have to add rule 60 "PXEClient" in order to get it to show up at all. After doing that, it seems to disable Legacy PXEBoot but it is easy enough to change that later on if needed. The last thing I noticed is that the driver step cannot be "Apply Driver Package" but instead should be "Auto Apply Drivers" for whatever reason the laptops that we got with the Toshiba drive do not like the driver package step and seem to prefer getting the auto drivers. After making these changes I was able to PXEBoot and the Task Sequence completed just fine. Microsoft needs to find a way to get some drivers that work with deployment, or add an exception for NVMe drives because this has been ridiculous, I have spent the better part of 2-weeks trying to get my Task Sequence to work and I've seen a lot of other people having issues with Microsoft stuff and NVMe drives and each one seems to have its own work around. We need a solution that works with all drives, because if we get more machines that have a different manufacturers NVMe drive in them, I would prefer not to spend another 2-weeks pulling my hair out, trying to get my TS to work for that specific one because Microsoft won't send out a solution and tends to like to blame the NVMe manufacturers for the issues, when they seem to work just fine with other operating systems. I'm just saying.

Side Note: The Win-Raid drivers for the Toshiba XG5 don't like to be deployed. I could not get the driver to accept the certificate before deployment and it wound up blowing up my driver package. The Win-Raid drivers are fine for personal use and I'm sure they work well for some people if used on a personal computer, but they are not good for deployment at all.

• Proposed as answer by Kiodos Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick.Drury Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:34 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Looks like you have the solution. I would make sure to give Xin a helpful vote since he lead you there. Glad things worked out. 

Thomas Faherty

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:39 PM