none
Event ID 976 when I try and execute a job RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have DPM 2012 R2 installed and running with all the latest updates (version 4.2.1235.0) along with SQL Server 2012 which is running on a remote server.

Issue we have is that when we try and schedule backups, it fails. We get no event logs on the DPM server. On the DB server, we have noticed to following:

The DPM job failed because it could not contact the DPM engine.

Problem Details:
    <JobTriggerFailed><__System><ID>9</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>22/07/2014 09:37:43</TimeCreated><Source>TriggerJob.cs</Source><Line>76</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><Tags><JobSchedule /></Tags></JobTriggerFailed>

Searching around, I have found a link which suggests that TriggerJob.exe might be pointing to a wrong path. I have checked and confirmed that it is on the right path which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep.

Next I have tried to execute the command manually from the above path and instantly received the same error code as above (Event id 976).

Could well be to do with credentials, but I am not sure. 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

We have DPM 2012 R2 installed and running with all the latest updates (version 4.2.1235.0) along with SQL Server 2012 which is running on a remote server.

Issue we have is that when we try and schedule backups, it fails. We get no event logs on the DPM server. On the DB server, we have noticed to following:

The DPM job failed because it could not contact the DPM engine.

Problem Details:
    <JobTriggerFailed><__System><ID>9</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>22/07/2014 09:37:43</TimeCreated><Source>TriggerJob.cs</Source><Line>76</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><Tags><JobSchedule /></Tags></JobTriggerFailed>

Searching around, I have found a link which suggests that TriggerJob.exe might be pointing to a wrong path. I have checked and confirmed that it is on the right path which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep.

Next I have tried to execute the command manually from the above path and instantly received the same error code as above (Event id 976).

Could well be to do with credentials, but I am not sure. 

Any ideas?

Further information on this:

When I look at the SQL log file viewer where the job was executed, I see the following:

Job Name ba217193-0bf4-4c02-a0c1-588acfe85a76
    Step Name Default JobStep
    Duration 00:00:01
    Sql Severity 0
    Sql Message ID 0
    Operator Emailed
    Operator Net sent
    Operator Paged
    Retries Attempted 0

Executed as user: DOMAIN\SQLAdmin. The step did not generate any output.  Process Exit Code 1064.  The step failed.

So it looks like the process exit code 1064 was generated by TriggerJob.exe, but cannot see what the error code means?!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:03 AM
  • Any luck finding a resolution? 

I have the same Error in SQL Log, nu scheduled jobs run in DPM. 

Br

Patrik

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Check first that are you able to take backup with SQL Management Studio on the remote server locally or not. If the backup will perform well than check the same process from the DPM Server and check the effect.

If all the things are working normally than you need to check both server Firewall is off or not. Once check post the status.

Regards, Koustov Choudhury

Friday, October 24, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Please see below blog which may assist.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2014/10/08/how-to-troubleshoot-scheduled-backup-job-failures-in-dpm-2012.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

• Marked as answer by Lats Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:28 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 2:26 PM