Searching by keyword RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 I've noticed that for files that are located on my "C" drive,  the only Search Filters available are "Date Modified" and "Size".  I am apparently unable to limit my search for a particular file "type" and "keyword", as in looking for a particular Word document file with a specific phrase.  I can do this if the files are located under the "Documents" folder (library?).  How can I add filters to the search window for files on other drives?

Also, I tried to post this question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups, but couldn't find one for Windows 7.

And, one more...is it me or are there many different forums, newsgroups, discussions groups out there on Microsoft.com?  I have trouble figuring out what to call them and where to go.  Thank you!!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Even though the "type" button is not there you can always filter by typing "type:pdf" to find files with the file type "PDF". This applies to all search boxes in both Windows Explorer and the search box in the start menu. You can combine the type command with keywords to find for example files of the type PDF that has something to with contoso can be written like "type:pdf contoso".
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Hi Philvk,

You can use many filters to do search. To learn more, you can click following link:

Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Hope it helps.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:55 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hi Philvk,

You can use many filters to do search. To learn more, you can click following link:

Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Hope it helps.

AQS is very handy, but it still often finds too many files as it searches sub-folders.

How can you restrict it to the current folder?
    -- Nigel M
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:34 PM