none
Roaming Profile Vs UE-V User Experience Virtualization. RRS feed

• Question

• staff

I wonder what the best option for an environment with regard to profile, from what I've been reading since both perform the same function but with different architecture, suffering from the same problems as link, size configuration files.

Please help me out.

Thank you.
    Monday, November 4, 2013 12:21 PM

Answers

• Both can accomplish the same task, but the strength of UE-V is ultimately in its granularity and customizability. With Roaming Profiles everything is synchronized every time the user logs in to their system. With UE-V, only the basic profile settings are synchronized at that time (desktop, start menu, folder options, etc.). Settings for applications are synched individually at application launch and close. If every setting for a user was redirected, the same amount of data and settings would be transferred between two systems, but the transfer would occur piece by piece as the data for each setting was requested during application launch. Additionally, with UE-V you can select which applications to synch.

In short, UE-V spreads the data out over a variety of user events, rather than just log on and log off, and allows you to further slim down the data by selecting only the relevant applications to by synchronized. While the same issues like a slow link or large amounts of data being synchronized apply to UE-V, UE-V can be adjusted to work within the limitations of the link, where as Roaming Profiles is on or off.

Combined with Folder Redirection for the user's data and Offline Files where applicable, it can provide a solution that provides equivalent capacity to Roaming Profiles, but with lower latency and more efficient use of network resources.

If you haven't watched this video, I would highly recommend it. It gives a brief overview of how UE-V works.

Friday, November 8, 2013 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See this general topic;

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/gabeknuth/archive/2012/04/06/microsoft-ue-v-heralds-a-new-era-of-user-virtual-oh-wait-we-had-this-already-what-s-it-all-mean.aspx

See Helge Kleins great overview aswell;

http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/04/microsoft-user-experience-virtualization-ue-v-facts-and-review/

I wouldn't say that they have the same problem in general. UE-V can be more flexible in terms of configuration and can address the size issues of saved settings in multiple ways.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Both can accomplish the same task, but the strength of UE-V is ultimately in its granularity and customizability. With Roaming Profiles everything is synchronized every time the user logs in to their system. With UE-V, only the basic profile settings are synchronized at that time (desktop, start menu, folder options, etc.). Settings for applications are synched individually at application launch and close. If every setting for a user was redirected, the same amount of data and settings would be transferred between two systems, but the transfer would occur piece by piece as the data for each setting was requested during application launch. Additionally, with UE-V you can select which applications to synch.

In short, UE-V spreads the data out over a variety of user events, rather than just log on and log off, and allows you to further slim down the data by selecting only the relevant applications to by synchronized. While the same issues like a slow link or large amounts of data being synchronized apply to UE-V, UE-V can be adjusted to work within the limitations of the link, where as Roaming Profiles is on or off.

Combined with Folder Redirection for the user's data and Offline Files where applicable, it can provide a solution that provides equivalent capacity to Roaming Profiles, but with lower latency and more efficient use of network resources.

If you haven't watched this video, I would highly recommend it. It gives a brief overview of how UE-V works.

Friday, November 8, 2013 2:32 PM
  • The issue I have with UE-V is that for a user to logon they still have to have a profile of some kind.  So, for example, if I decide to use UE-V only for my stateless VDI environment (education, 20,000+ student users on kiosk thin clients) then when they log on Windows has to create a profile which actually takes longer than loading their existing roaming profile which has been used on physical desktops.

Without investing in 3rd party profile tools I'd like to know what the best approach is, I had a play with mandatory profiles + UE-V but they're not pretty in Win7...

Friday, December 6, 2013 1:04 PM