none
Windows 10 connector for Windows Server 2012 Essentials (not R2)...launchpad logon works, alerts, backup no

Question

• One of my PC's connected to Windows Server Essentials 2012 (not R2) has the Windows 10 upgrade.  Launchpad logon works, shared folders are accessible, but the launchpad icon at the bottom right taskbar is gray, no alerts available.

Looking at Dashboard, the computer is still reported as Windows 8.1 with status not available and backup will not start.

I have read that the connector for Server Essentials works with Windows 10...apparently not so much.

Comment, advice??

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:40 PM

All replies

• "I have read that the connector for Server Essentials works with Windows 10..."

Not sure where you read that.  It doesn't.  It won't even install on a clean win10 install. But since you upgraded you have one installed...just won't work.   There is a win10 connector available from the download center, but you have to manually download and install it. There is no server update that includes it yet.  The new connector was just released a few hours ago timed with the release of win10.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:11 PM
  • https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4845/ask-paul-windows-home-serveressentials-connector-and-windows-10 

Paul is usually pretty reliable....not this time, though.

I'll look in the download center...

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:56 PM
  • could you shoot me a link to the new connector? Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:02 PM
  • Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:24 PM
  • Gah. My apologies. I am mobile and re-read your post after reading the article you linked to. I didn't notice the "not R2" earlier.  So the links I provided won't apply. The existing connector *should* work.

1) Make sure you are up to date on your 2012 rollups.

2) If you still have issues, uninstall and reinstall the connector.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:36 PM
  • So, after a couple restarts, the connector sort of works...alerts are coming through and backup is working, dashboard does not work.  Have not uninstalled the connector, but will try that next.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:10 PM
  • backup succeeded, alerts work, but dashboard no longer works...in fact, it no longer works on non-upgraded systems (Windows 8.1).  It does work on the server itself, but I miss the functionality of access elsewhere.

Seems like too much of a coincidence that daskboard would stop working without some connection to the windows 10 upgrade...

Thoughts?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:08 PM