none
IE 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Recently upgraded to Windows 8 with IE 10. On various websites, when I click on, i.e. "continue", "links", I'm immediately sent to the "Bing"search engine. This never happens with other browsers and never happened with IE 9.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

• The link "internet explorer 10" under Related Topics, I go directly to the Bing search engine screen.

Sounds like a DNS related issue.   You could try tracing it.   First try using the Developer Tools, Network Capture (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5) so you can see the normal flow for that request.

For clarity of example, you would have been requesting this:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onlineservicesannouncements/thread/b54c41c6-5383-42da-beb9-8a89c4343bb7 

Looking with the DT NC would not reveal the problem.   E.g. there is not even a redirect involved.

So, you would need to switch to a full TCP packet trace to find out what was happening.   E.g. use NetMon or WireShark.

However, before doing that you could get a clue about the DNS lookups required by going to a cmd window and doing an  ipconfig  /displaydns  

Tip:  Do an  ipconfig  /flushdns  first to simplify your analysis.

Then the sort of thing that you might see in your packet trace would be a lookup for  social.technet.microsoft.com  which might or might not have been satisfied but in any case would have only shown that that host name is an alias and therefore an IP address for it not immediately available.   After that what happens can depend on either your default search provider being BING or your ISP doing the same service for lookups which appear to have failed.  Again, those are things which can best be seen in a packet trace and not likely to be shown clearly in a DT NC trace.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

are you on a domain network? Sounds like you are using an old profile.... contact your system administrators.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Negative, this is from my home network, as a matter of fact, the problem just occurred on this website. The link "internet explorer 10" under Related Topics, I go directly to the Bing search engine screen.

Al

Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:32 PM
  • The link "internet explorer 10" under Related Topics, I go directly to the Bing search engine screen.

Sounds like a DNS related issue.   You could try tracing it.   First try using the Developer Tools, Network Capture (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5) so you can see the normal flow for that request.

For clarity of example, you would have been requesting this:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onlineservicesannouncements/thread/b54c41c6-5383-42da-beb9-8a89c4343bb7 

Looking with the DT NC would not reveal the problem.   E.g. there is not even a redirect involved.

So, you would need to switch to a full TCP packet trace to find out what was happening.   E.g. use NetMon or WireShark.

However, before doing that you could get a clue about the DNS lookups required by going to a cmd window and doing an  ipconfig  /displaydns  

Tip:  Do an  ipconfig  /flushdns  first to simplify your analysis.

Then the sort of thing that you might see in your packet trace would be a lookup for  social.technet.microsoft.com  which might or might not have been satisfied but in any case would have only shown that that host name is an alias and therefore an IP address for it not immediately available.   After that what happens can depend on either your default search provider being BING or your ISP doing the same service for lookups which appear to have failed.  Again, those are things which can best be seen in a packet trace and not likely to be shown clearly in a DT NC trace.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:39 PM
    Answerer