Exchange 2010 Retention Policy Tags RRS feed

• Question

• I have created Retention Policy Tags for the Deleted Items folder, Junk email folder Business Critical Items and even to move emails from the mail account to the Archive folders. The last thing I need to do and don't see how to do this is, is to set on the Archive folder a Retention Policy Tag to delete any email after a certain age (3 years). I'm not seeing in the option of the new tag to tell it to apply this to the Archive folder(s). I do see an option to select "Personal Folder" but I don't think that really means "Archive Folder". A "Personal Folder" in the sense of the word can mean "Archive Folder" also but that referring to a local PST file and not the Exchange 2010 online archiving.

Is this possible and if so, how can it be setup?

Any and all insight/help is much appreciated.

Leonard Hoffman

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi there. See Bharat's reply here on how to do that:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrsecuremessaginglegacy/thread/58913541-12e6-4b3d-9c54-f0211038ba60/

• What you would do is use a default move policy (DPT with Move action) to move items to archive in 180 days, and a default expiry tag (DPT with delete and allow recovery/permanentlydelete action) to delete items. If you want to delete from archive if message is older than 365 days (total), set the retention age of expiry tag to 365. If you want the item to be deleted 365 days after it's moved to archive, so after 180 + 365 days, set the retention age of expiry tag to 545 days.

Twitter!:

• Proposed as answer by Jim McBee - Colorado Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by LenJr1 Friday, May 3, 2013 12:46 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi there. See Bharat's reply here on how to do that:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrsecuremessaginglegacy/thread/58913541-12e6-4b3d-9c54-f0211038ba60/

• What you would do is use a default move policy (DPT with Move action) to move items to archive in 180 days, and a default expiry tag (DPT with delete and allow recovery/permanentlydelete action) to delete items. If you want to delete from archive if message is older than 365 days (total), set the retention age of expiry tag to 365. If you want the item to be deleted 365 days after it's moved to archive, so after 180 + 365 days, set the retention age of expiry tag to 545 days.

Twitter!:

• Proposed as answer by Jim McBee - Colorado Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by LenJr1 Friday, May 3, 2013 12:46 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Andy,

Just to make sure I'm following you correctly. I would create the  policy tag to Move emails to Archive older than 365 days and then also create a policy tag to Delete after 1095 days for the following resulst of Move to archive after 1 year and delete after 3 years creating a rule that would keep the emails for a time period of 4 years prior to being deleted from the Archive folder, correct?

Leonard Hoffman

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Andy,

Just to make sure I'm following you correctly. I would create the  policy tag to Move emails to Archive older than 365 days and then also create a policy tag to Delete after 1095 days for the following resulst of Move to archive after 1 year and delete after 3 years creating a rule that would keep the emails for a time period of 4 years prior to being deleted from the Archive folder, correct?

Leonard Hoffman

Exactly! 

Twitter!:

Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:02 PM