Top-right hand-corner close buttons bugging ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hails!

When I try to close a software by clicking on the red top-right hand-corner button, il blocks and still shines red light but doesn't close anything. Then are the same for the Maximize and the Minimize buttons which get blocked and remain shining blue. I am actually using Windows 7 Built 7600.

See here : http://tinyurl.com/mmfkuw

Does anyone have an idea ?
    Regards,
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for late replay.

Since this issue only occurs with specific applications, some third party program or service may conflict with these applications. I recommend that you perform a clean boot to identify the exact cause.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)   Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)   Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

BTW, there are some notable changes between different version of Windows.  It is highly recommended to upgrade to RTM but not downgrade to a lower version.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:02 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Does this issue occur with just one application or all applications? Generally, these could be related to Windows code, drivers, or third party software. If it only occurs with a software, this software may not compatible with Windows 7. You need to update it to the latest version or perform a software reinstall. Otherwise, if the issue is related to all programs. I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Run sfc.exe to scan the whole system files and fix corrupted ones.

1) Type "Command Prompt" in the search box and right click to run as Administrator.

2) Type the following command:

sfc /scannow

3) Restart and see if the issue occurs.

2. Restart the computer and initialize Startup Repair to automatically fix corrupted System Files.

Startup Repair

=========

1) Restart your computer and press F8 at the Startup.

2) Select Repair your computer at Advanced Boot Options.

3) Choose System Repair in System Recovery Options.

4) After System Repair is finished, restart the computer and log on with the additional account to see if Maximize button is enabled.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

Friday, August 7, 2009 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Indeed it only does happen with Firefox 3.5.2. However I already upgraded to the latest software and nothing changed. What bothers me is that problem only happened with Built versions under 7000. When I used the 7077 Built version, that problem disappeared. Now I'm using Built 7600, it is coming back.

Another problem comes with Adobe Reader 9 Plugin for browser. In fact, when I click on a PDF link, there's a hasard for the browser not to open the Adobe Plugin correctly but to show a blank dialogue window. The previous Built issue is same with Abode Reader 9 unfortunately.

Then I close and try again around 3 or 4 times in order to launch the Adobe Reader 8 Plugin in my browser.

See here : http://tinyurl.com/ktlpka

I think I will downgrade my computer operating system to Built 7077 as both problems are coming back on Built 7600. I have not tried your solutions yet. I'm going to try to fix it right now and give you a feedback.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:14 PM
  • "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." said cmd.
    I'm thinking about downgrading, will I lose many Windows 7 7600 features ?
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late replay.

Since this issue only occurs with specific applications, some third party program or service may conflict with these applications. I recommend that you perform a clean boot to identify the exact cause.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)   Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)   Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

BTW, there are some notable changes between different version of Windows.  It is highly recommended to upgrade to RTM but not downgrade to a lower version.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:02 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:30 AM