none
Installation of Windows Server 2008 from DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully downloaded Windows Server 2008 R2 trial version, and successfully burned the iso file to a DVD. When I attempt to install the program on my system, I get the message that I have the wrong version of Windows! I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my system. I was unaware that I would need a different version to be able to install Windows Server 2008. I should also say that the reason I'm attempting to install Windows Server 2008 is because I have been totally unsuccessful in setting up a testing server using IIS. In attempting to set up IIS as the source for a testing server, at first, I was getting error 500.19. Then, after repeated attempts at resolving that issue, I now get only the source code when attempting to view my pages with my browser - or I get the message that my page cannot be viewed. Maybe I'm in the wrong field... Can someone please tell me what my next move should be on either of these issues?

Joe Dardard

jdardard@gmail.com

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:46 PM

Answers

• Jos,

Forgive me if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do - but installing Windows Server 2008 isn't like adding an application to an existing installed operating system like Windows 7.  It is an entirely different operating system that will replace what's already installed.  (installing it as another OS choice in a "dual boot" setup is another option.. but really needs to be done to a separate hard disk or disk partition) 

You could consider is installing the server as a virtual machine under Windows Virtual PC.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/  That way you can run the server and test your application using IIS on it, while still running Windows 7 as your main OS.

Or... install Server 2008 on an entirely different computer.

For further questions on IIS, you should probably ask your question in one of the Windows Server 2008 forums or on the MSDN forums.

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:12 PM
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Jos,

You have two options:

1) boot from the DVD and install Windows2008 overwriting the Windows 7 operating system (I would stringly recommend against building a dual boot system unless you can swap harddrives.)

2) Install a virtual PC and run it that way (bear in mind this works for the 32bit version of WIN2008 only as the VPC does not (yet) support 64bit operating systems.

I used VMware workstation to create a Virtual server and run the 64bit version of WIN2008 server on a laptop with Win7 ultimate 64bit with 4 GB of memory for testing purposes.

Good luck

Cor

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:13 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:52 PM

All replies

• Jos,

Forgive me if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do - but installing Windows Server 2008 isn't like adding an application to an existing installed operating system like Windows 7.  It is an entirely different operating system that will replace what's already installed.  (installing it as another OS choice in a "dual boot" setup is another option.. but really needs to be done to a separate hard disk or disk partition) 

You could consider is installing the server as a virtual machine under Windows Virtual PC.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/  That way you can run the server and test your application using IIS on it, while still running Windows 7 as your main OS.

Or... install Server 2008 on an entirely different computer.

For further questions on IIS, you should probably ask your question in one of the Windows Server 2008 forums or on the MSDN forums.

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:12 PM
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Jos,

You have two options:

1) boot from the DVD and install Windows2008 overwriting the Windows 7 operating system (I would stringly recommend against building a dual boot system unless you can swap harddrives.)

2) Install a virtual PC and run it that way (bear in mind this works for the 32bit version of WIN2008 only as the VPC does not (yet) support 64bit operating systems.

I used VMware workstation to create a Virtual server and run the 64bit version of WIN2008 server on a laptop with Win7 ultimate 64bit with 4 GB of memory for testing purposes.

Good luck

Cor

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:13 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:52 PM
  • You have to check the windows7 compatibility page for specific details. like does W7ultimate differ from W7pro in server 2008 compatibility? if so, check for the appropriate WS2008 to install. A virtual machine should make your testing a lot easier. 
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Kevin,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've since resolved this issue as well. Not having been very familiar with IIS at the time of this posting, I guess I panicked. But I've long since became a pro with IIS and no longer need to deal with Windows Server 2008. I'm sure it would have resolved some issues had I been more familiar with the installation of it, but I can now use IIS very effectively to develop dynamic applications. All the time I was having those issues, it really wasn't IIS that was the problem, but me -- not truly understanding the nature of the errors I was getting at the time. That's behind me now, so I have been able to move forward, albeit still with much to learn, but I'm getting there. Thanks again...

Have a wonderful day...

Joe

Joe

Saturday, April 28, 2012 5:32 PM