none
Prevent Internal OOF messages

Question

• Hi

It is easy to prevent OOF messages from being sent externally - 
    Is it possible to prevent OOF messages from being sent internally?

shapi

Monday, August 7, 2017 12:36 PM

Answers

• Follow the below link to block internally.

https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/how-to-block-sending-out-of-office-messages-on-exchange-server-for-external-recipients/

• Marked as answer by shaptoni Tuesday, August 8, 2017 2:29 PM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi

It is easy to prevent OOF messages from being sent externally - 
    Is it possible to prevent OOF messages from being sent internally?

shapi

Tell your users not to enable it?

Otherwise, you would probably have to create a custom default role assignment with that option (Set-MailboxAutoReplyConfiguration) removed and apply to all the users.

Havent done this- never heard of anyone wanted to do this actually.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876910%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I suppose another option would be a transport rule that drops any message with the message type "Automatic Reply"

Monday, August 7, 2017 12:45 PM
  • You might also be able to create a transport rule that blocks the OOF template.  But why would you want to do this?

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Monday, August 7, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reponses

The OOF data being sent is for client purposes and not relevant or intended for internal senders

Therefore, the replies should be sent out, but externally only

It seems that enabling the rule turns it on for Internal replies by default and it is not straightforward to disable this. I dont want to block the OOF template as it is required (externally), rules dont seem to be able to distinguish on sender inside/outside the org as well as affecting the reply

shapi

Monday, August 7, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Follow the below link to block internally.

https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/how-to-block-sending-out-of-office-messages-on-exchange-server-for-external-recipients/

• Marked as answer by shaptoni Tuesday, August 8, 2017 2:29 PM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 3:41 PM
  • thanks Raj, I will have a play this this in the lab....

shapi

Monday, August 7, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reponses

The OOF data being sent is for client purposes and not relevant or intended for internal senders

Therefore, the replies should be sent out, but externally only

It seems that enabling the rule turns it on for Internal replies by default and it is not straightforward to disable this. I dont want to block the OOF template as it is required (externally), rules dont seem to be able to distinguish on sender inside/outside the org as well as affecting the reply

shapi

You can create transport rules based on whether the recipient is external or not.

Monday, August 7, 2017 4:48 PM
  • I guess I still need to understand this, but Andy is right - you can create transport rules that say "We will block any OOF messages that are sent to internal users".

What I'm trying to understand is are you trying to set this up for a specific mailbox (which is what I assume you are attempting, from the context)?  Or do you want to keep all of your users from enabling their colleagues to know whether they are out?  I can understand the former, but not the latter ...

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 12:35 PM