none
Client issues locating DC - DNS Lookup Failure?

Question

• Hi all,

I'm quite a bit of a novice with server stuff so I'm hoping this is a simple mistake I've made.

I'm setting up a test environment with 3 server VMs and 2 client PCs.

The servers are as follows:

• DC
    • Lync Server
    • SQL & Application server

I created the DC and promoted it then I have been able to join the other servers and client PCs to the domain. HOWEVER, when I try to set up the Lync server I am unable to perform the step in the install to prepare AD. When I looked in the log I saw that there was an ActiveDirectoryNotFoundException logged for Get-CSSchemaState.

I checked from PowerShell and I am unable to ping (DNS lookup failure) the DC with the form DomainName.local. I can ping it with DomainServerName.DomainName.local. I AM able to ping DomainName.local on the DC itself.

So, it would seem that I have a DNS issue, but I have NO idea where to begin with that. I looked at the configuration and it appears the DomainName.local is registered in DNS, but the clients and other servers very much disagree with me.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Please run dcdiag /test:dns command to check the DNS configuration, and you could follow the article as below to fix the error if you get them from the command result:
    Dcdiag for DNS: Test details explained
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17741.dcdiag-for-dns-test-details-explained.aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Sailing_Nut Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:50 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Wendy,

Thanks for the information!

After using the troubleshooting steps you gave me and a LOT of Googling, I was able to track the problem down to two problems.

1. I had a secondary DNS (from my ISP) configured on the Lync server that was causing me to not be able to ping the DC by name.
    2. On the DC I had its DNS set to 127.0.0.1 instead of the IP address of the DC itself.

Once I resolved those issues I was off and running!

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Hi,
    Great, thank you for the update and marking the answer.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:33 AM