WSUS HTTP error occurred RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a SCCM 2012 SP1 single primary site with SUP and WSUS configured to synchronise with Microsoft update. The WSUS is 3.0 SP2 plus KB2734608 and KB2720211. The WSUS server has direct internet access.

WSUS has been synchronising with windows update successfully until yesterday. Now all synchronisations are failing with the error shown - this indicates there is a network connection problem, however I can browse to the address shown below from the server with no issue as the server has direct internet access.

I've seen other threads relating to KB2734608  and http errors but I already have this installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Carl

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi, this issue has now been resolved after a Microsoft support request.

It appears that with multiple SUP's in SCCM 2012 SP1, if the primary SUP goes offline (in my case the primary site server), another SUP takes the master WSUS role and performs the synchronisation via Microsoft Update. This SUP retains the role even when the primary SUP comes back online.

Because only our primary site server has a direct internet connection, once the master role passed to the secondary SUP, synchronisations then failed as the server has no direct internet access.

After stopping UpdateServices on our secondary SUP and performing a sync, the synchronisation with Microsoft Update is now working correctly back on the primary site server.

We'll be adding the direct internet access to the SUP in our DR site.

Hope this helps someone else.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, April 12, 2013 10:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:06 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Wsus involved with SCCM should be asked in the SCCM forum.Here is mainly discussing the stand-alone WSUS scenario.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Hi, no problem.

Can this thread be moved to a SCCM 2012 forum?

Cheers

Carl

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Hi, this issue has now been resolved after a Microsoft support request.

It appears that with multiple SUP's in SCCM 2012 SP1, if the primary SUP goes offline (in my case the primary site server), another SUP takes the master WSUS role and performs the synchronisation via Microsoft Update. This SUP retains the role even when the primary SUP comes back online.

Because only our primary site server has a direct internet connection, once the master role passed to the secondary SUP, synchronisations then failed as the server has no direct internet access.

After stopping UpdateServices on our secondary SUP and performing a sync, the synchronisation with Microsoft Update is now working correctly back on the primary site server.

We'll be adding the direct internet access to the SUP in our DR site.

Hope this helps someone else.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, April 12, 2013 10:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:06 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:25 AM
  • It appears that with multiple SUP's in SCCM 2012 SP1, if the primary SUP goes offline (in my case the primary site server), another SUP takes the master WSUS role and performs the synchronisation via Microsoft Update. This SUP retains the role even when the primary SUP comes back online.

Interesting!!! I don't ever recall seeing that documented anywhere!!!

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • That's what got me as its not documented as far as I know!

We spent ages using network monitoring on the primary SUP while performing syncs and no traffic was captured. After we ran wsusutil.exe listfrontendservers we found that the master had in fact shifted to the other SUP server and the penny dropped.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:29 PM