none
Is it possible to rebuild a DPM server from scratch and import the backup volumes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    we have updated our DPM 2010 server to 2012 and are plagued by several problems since (a summary including the latest one can be found here).

We are thinking about a fresh start. Importing old tape doesn't seem to be a problem but we would like to get our configuration transferred, preferably with the backup volumes.

Restoring the Database is NOT an option since DPM has corrupted it all by itself. 

I've seen some posts mentioning a powershell script. We would appreciate any advice we could get on the matter.

Thanks in advance

Uwe

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

When you say "DPM has corrupted it all by itself" are you not able to get into DPM at all or does the data just not show? Would you look at trying to repair DPM?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758162.aspx

When you upgraded from DPM 2012 to DPM 2010 did you make a backup of your Database? If yes then you should be able to re-install DPM 2010 and restore the DB. For ref you can look below:

http://jeramythompson.blogspot.com/2012/04/dpm-2012-upgrade-from-2010.html

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. The installation itself is alright. With "corrupted it all by itself" I meant that a few weeks after the update DPM started to crash when we opened the MMC. This happened to other users, too. The solution is to restore a Backup of the Database and resync everything.
    We had a support case open with MS they closed it with the reason 'Database corrupt'. The problem reappeats every few weeks. Now we moved to SP1 and UR3 and get fresh problems like the ones described in my other thread.
    Our second DPM server started with DPM 2012 and runs fine.
    If there were a way to recreate the Installation without restoring the Database we would do it immediately. This has eaten up far too much time on our side.
    IMHO MS Support on this product is far from what I expected for an Enterprise product.Some of the Bugs we encountered look like holes in the quality checks. But what stunnes me most is their inability to get the database in order. DPM clearly messes it up but they are unable to correct this causing all sorts of problems.
    Uwe

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:03 AM