none
Set duration of task shorter than start and end date RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to set a task duration at say, 20 hoursm but have the start and end date a month apart. We let our "resources" aka staff members manage when they work on projects, but it would be good to get a better sense if we are over scheduling and to be able to do budget calculations. How could I use project to track this?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:20 PM

Answers

• MonicaL,

I'm guessing you meant to say you want the duration of a task to be longer than the equivalent hours of effort needed to perform it.

Okay, basic concept in Project. Duration is the span in working time between the start of a task and the finish of that task. Work is the effort one or more resources will actually spend completing that task. If a given resource is assigned full time to the task, the duration hours and work hours will be the same, but typically that is not the case.

Using my first assumption, you want a fixed duration task. You can set that in a number of ways but the easiest is via Task Information/Advanced tab. Once the task is set as fixed duration, then you can enter the estimated hours in the Work field and assign your resource(s). Project will automatically spread those hours linearly over the full task duration. You can manually contour those hours using the Resource or Task Usage views.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Monica.L Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:14 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:39 PM