none
Broadcom USB Smart Card reader not working RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading my Vista Business SP2 (32-bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate RC (32-bit) my Broadcom USB smart card reader does not work any longer (Dell Latitude E6400 with built in smart card reader).
    The newest available driver from dell support was already tested (Broadcom, driver date 09/23/2008, version 1.0.0.1, digitally signed WHQL, released by dell in March 09), but the device can not start (Error code 10) with Windows 7.
    With the Microsoft WUDF Driver (Usbccid, driver date 06/21/2006, version 6.1.7100.0) the device starts but whenever I insert my smart card an additional device is detected (other device - smart card) but no driver found - Error message is: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28).

What else can I try to get this reader working again (with vista sp2 the smart card reader was working fine with the broadcom driver)?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I also have a USB card reader but with Realtek drivers and it doesn't work under Windows 7 RC either. I tried installing the Vista drivers for mine but it doesn't help at all. Did anyone find a solution for this so far?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Same prob let us know if u find a fix
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:20 AM
  • i have the exactly same prob.
    couldn't find solution yet :(
    hope there's a fix soon

Monday, July 20, 2009 1:07 PM
  • can't use the internal smartcard reader with win + driver sw from msft...anybody from msft here?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:54 AM
  • I have also an USB card reader that works fine on XP PCs but Win7 does not recognise it, can msft make a sd reader driver that works pls.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I have the same problem with my E6400 64 bit.
    Dell should have the drivers for it but i don't see them on the website
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I have also an USB card reader that works fine on XP PCs but Win7 does not recognise it, can msft make a sd reader driver that works pls.
    Hi

Sorry, but the way the industry works is that Microsoft develops Windows and Hardware manufacturers develop drivers for their products. Microsoft does maintain a complete division (MSDN) that is dedicated to assisting hardware and software manufacturers in developing their products for compatibility with Windows.

All of the drivers that are contained on the Windows installation disk and on Windows Update are placed there by the manufacturers of the devices. This is a service that Microsoft provides to help these manufacturers to distribute their drivers.

What you can do.

1. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated drivers for that device. This is your best source, since the computer manufacturer builds, tests, and sometimes develops their own, custom drivers to work with the hardware on their PCs.

2. Try to determine the name and manufacturer of the device using Device Manager and MSInfo32. Once this information is found, try to find that manufacturers website and look for the latest compatible drivers.

3. Check to see if there are any users forums on the PC manufacturers or device manufacturers websites. Ask there about any known issues with this particular hardware device or if the device is no longer supported.

4. If the drivers are found but are only available for previous versions of Windows, install the drivers using the Windows Compatibility Mode. HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

Right now, we are in a unique situation since we are using an operating system that is still in the pre-release phase. Many hardware/software manufacturers will be ofrficially supporting their products for Windows 7 until after the General Availability date of October 22, 2009.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I have the same problem with my E6400 64 bit.
    Dell should have the drivers for it but i don't see them on the website

I think there are several packages you need to install to get this to work.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LAT_E6400&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

ControlPoint Security Driver Pack
    ControlPoint System Manager
    ControlPoint Security Manager

Do you have the latest version of all of these installed?

zokyn/andy_power - As Ronnie suggested, please go into device manager and find the Hardware ID for the your smartcard readers, then post them here.  Also post the make/model of your PC's.  I'll see if I can help you track down drivers.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Seems we ALL are in the same boat....if anyone can get Microsoft to give us an answer...PLEASE pass it on....
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Seems we ALL are in the same boat....if anyone can get Microsoft to give us an answer...PLEASE pass it on....

Mike - What laptop do you have?  Have you downloaded all of the ControlPoint-related packages from Dell's website?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Mark,

I've installed the three ControlPoint programs you listed above, and still do not have a driver for the Smart Card in Windows 7.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400.
    The Hardware ID for the Smart Card is: CID_3303013145410602b6
    There's also an Unknown device, it may be unrelated, but it has Hardware ID: VID_413C & PID_8149

Thanks.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:07 PM
  • You could try to download and update Realtek USB card reader driver from:

http://www.realtek.com.tw

Downloads -> Computer Peripheral ICs -> Card Reader Solutions -> Card Reader Controllers -> Software

Friday, August 6, 2010 2:19 AM
  • its a bit since this posting, but i am having this same problem on windows 7  dell latitude e6410    seems my laptop worked perfectly until i allowed the windows updstes to post  now i have a real mess and this is just a piece of it   im able to boot up and access safe mode and bios etc     what would really help me is to figure out how to take this computer back to factory install nut keep my copy of office 2010  and my other programs  i am fine with loosing all files as long as i keep my software programs because all disks and activation codes were destroyed in flood   any suggestikns are appreciated  
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:34 PM
  • This weorked for me!

Smart card was not working after installing winfows 10m but updating the controlpoint driver (http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER72668M/1/APP_WIN_R312260.EXE) seems to have solved the issue

Thanks!

Agnes

Saturday, January 16, 2016 9:44 AM
  • The Dell site has drivers that will not install the upgrade on the new windows 10 that is unsupported.

Why do none of the drivers want to install on Windows 10?
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:35 PM