Enable Appv on domain controller RRS feed

All replies

• Installation of the App-V server (backend) is not supported on a domain controller (or windows sever core). Also, on a DC you do not want to run app-v apps.

The mdop admx template is only for manually installed (appv-5.1) clients. Windows Sever 2016 and Windows 10, both have the app-v client build in... therefor you don't need a separate admx, they are available under: Computer Config\Administrative Templates\System\App-V.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:35 PM
  • Thanks for reply. I dont try to install APP-V on DC.

I only want to create GPO that can enable app-v client on win 10 users machines. Than, if it is built in and enable as default i really dont need this parameter.

Bu also in this GPO we should correctly set a public server in Publishing setting.... so, we need this policy on DC to correclty set up App-V infrastructure.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:54 PM
  • OK, so if I understand correctly, you're able to set all App-V related GPO's (including Pub. server), besides the enable-appvclient GPO?

Roy Essers

Friday, April 10, 2020 7:02 PM
  • Yes, i show option on screenshot. I use ADMX of APP-V on my DC, but do not have this last option.

It should have this option.

• Edited by xAxellx Saturday, April 11, 2020 12:48 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2020 12:44 PM
  • Open appv.adml under your Russian PolicyDefinitions (in C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions), and check if EnableAppV and EnableAppV_Help is listed, they should be below Publishing_Enable_Refresh_UX_Help. If they're not there add the following below Publishing_Enable_Refresh_UX_Help:
          <string id="EnableAppV">Enable App-V Client</string>
          <string id="EnableAppV_Help">This policy setting allows you to enable or disable Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) feature. Reboot is needed for disable to take effect.</string>

If that's not the case you can always manually set the regkey through GPO:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\AppV\Client
    Enabled=1 (dword)

or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client
    Enabled=1 (dword)

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Monday, April 13, 2020 10:36 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2020 10:30 AM
  • Thanks for help. I try to add this in ADMX file.

There is no EnableAppV and EnableAppV_Help in ADMX.

Try to add two strings in the end of ADMX (that you demonstrate) but have error and this policy do not show in AD. We should know full XML rules for add this strings. Like:

<policies>
        <policy name="Streaming_Package_Installation_Root" class="Machine" displayName="$(string.Streaming_Package_Installation_Root)" 
                explainText="$(string.Streaming_Package_Installation_Root_Help)" presentation="$(presentation.Streaming_Package_Installation_Root)" 
                key="SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Streaming">

and so on... it is not so easy.

Monday, April 13, 2020 12:00 PM
  • If there is no EnableAppV in the ADMX, you have an old ADMX.

This was added a long time ago (don't remember when) so go get newer ADMX files.  And check the forest level on the DC; it might be 2016 but running at a much older level.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 12:23 PM
  • Hi - found a few settings are missing from the old ADMX file, including the new package cleanup setting (which auto removes any unpublished apps to save on cache space).

Don't use the MDOP ADMX, download the latest ADMX for Windows 10 instead:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/100591

packageology.com

• Edited by Dan Gough Wednesday, May 6, 2020 4:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Gough Wednesday, May 6, 2020 4:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2020 4:56 PM