Windows Server 2003 having problems with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

So i have a problem with our Windows server 2003 it was able to connect to our Windows 7 home edition froom our server but all of a sudden for about 2 weeks it will not connect. We access all of our files through mapped drives we are not on a domain but on a workgroup. All of our Windows XP Computers work fine. When we try to access the drive it will say the local drive is in use and has not been restored, or the path does not exsist. At times the computers will work but access is only for about 1 minute before it goes out. I have checked the group policy. When I ping the server I get one response and the rest of the request time out. I have disabled the firewall. I have uninstalled the  updates to the computers that were downloaded near the date of problems but nothing has helped. Any help would be greatly aprreciated as i have run out of ideas on what this could be and why it has started recently only affecting our windows 7.

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

• HI 

Am sorry . Could you please clarify few things , 

A. Are you facing the network time out's continuously ? Will you able to access the network shares other than from win 7 ?

B. How many network adapters/networks you have in server ? Did you tried in different network ? Did you tired changing the IP address and tried to access ? 

C. How about the services ? please verify http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961657 . .

please let me know the results 

Cheers 

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Hello,

answers

A. Yes, Currently our XP computers are able to access the network shares just fine.

B. We only have one Domain on that server so only 1 network. We have another network on another small server and the windows 7 can access those network shares. Yes the IP address was changed several times but it did not work still no conectivity.

C. The services seem to be fine we have not had any of the mentioned errors come up.

hope this helped

f
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi Flor1116,

Thanks for posting here

So we are having issue to access resources between two hosts .

May I know how these two host obtain address ? statically assigned or form DHCP server ?

Are both hosts in same subnet that connects with same network device ? have we tried to access via host name, FQDN or just IP address and what was the results .

I’d like to first verify the connectivity by running the methods in the link below which will also work with Windows 7 and will suggest to start form verifying the ARP cache and updating the latest drivers for NIC:

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:16 AM
  •  

Well weird thing the computers started working fine on friday night and continued on to monday but today around 9:50 they all went down again.

the server has a static IP provided to it and the computers recieve there Ip's from a DHCP Server. Yes they are both in the same subnet  that connects them. They are not in a Domain just Mapped Drives are what share the files from one to another. Yes we have tried via hostname and  IP. Results are the same connectivity for about 1-3 minutes and disconnection right after, sometimes no connectivity at all. We now that the server NIC is ok due to our Windows XP all being able to acces the files and they are set up the same way as the Windows 7

Thank you

Flor

f
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Flor,

Thanks for posting here.

Will all other Windows 7 clients also be affected by this issue ?

Please also test to disable the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features by executing the following commands through a privileged command prompt on Windows 7 client and try to reconnect:

(a) netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled

(b) netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

(c) netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037/en-us

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Hello

Yes we have about 4 windows 7 and they are all doing the same thing none of them can connect we added a new windows 7 just to see if it would have the same problem it did. I am running the commands i will post back with the results.

thank you

Flor  

f
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hello

The Commands did not help i processed them to two of our current windows 7 computers and nothing changed. The computers still manage to connect for about a 3 minutes give or take and then they disconect with the error " An error occured while reconnecting Z: to \\******\******. Microsoft network The local device name is already in use this conncetion has not been restored.

thank you

flor  

f
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hi Flor,

Thanks for update.

May I also know how did we map these devices on Windows 7 client ? by executing start up script with command net use or the Drive Maps setting in group policy  ?

Using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives Based on Group Membership

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Hello,

I believe it is by drive maps on group policy. We just go to "My Computer" and press the "Map a Drive" button on the top of the window.

Thank you so much for your help

Flor

• Edited by Flor1116 Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:24 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:24 PM